Disabling Material

Clayton Belcher

Jan 16, 2017, 1:43:03 AM1/16/17
to Chromium-discuss
Not sure if this topic is taboo around these parts... couldn't find any preexisting topics about it, which surprised me.

I... just can't stand the new material design in Chrome. I was hoping Chromium would still offer an opt-out. Despite some command line flags to disable it apparently still existing, it would seem my hopes have been dashed.

Is there any hope at all of maintaining a secure, up-to-date Chromium that doesn't use material? I don't even know what all that would entail. I had to switch to Firefox at work, and I've hated it the whole time. Then I turn around and Chrome's UI feels just as clunky.

PhistucK

Jan 16, 2017, 2:17:57 AM1/16/17
to clayton...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
I do not think you can and even if you could, it would have gone away eventually (soon). This is the new look, you will have to live with it, or switch to another browser, unfortunately. :(

PhistucK

jlm

Jan 16, 2017, 6:03:53 AM1/16/17
to Chromium-discuss
Are there specific elements of the design that affect your ability to use the browser?

Clayton Belcher

Jan 16, 2017, 8:48:59 AM1/16/17
to Chromium-discuss
Only if it counts that I've spent several months using it, and felt constantly irritated by it enough to downgrade (which gave me instant relief).

I just developed a couple of Chrome extensions, and I was irritated to find that the icons aren't decipherable under the new design, since they're shrunk.

It's mostly the tabs that drive me nuts. They waste space and feel clunky, like I'm on a phone. One of my favorite things about Chrome has been its smooth, almost invisible interface.

Guess I'll have to deal with it. I usually do with other changes, but this one has just been rubbing me the wrong way.

PhistucK

Jan 16, 2017, 9:09:57 AM1/16/17
to Clayton Belcher, Chromium-discuss
Can you post a screenshot of the tabs? The changes were quite minimal and subtle over there (sharpened angles, less round, but the height is only like a pixel or two higher).

PhistucK