Add delete to downloads context menu.

Jcee James

Apr 23, 2017, 9:07:10 AM4/23/17
to Chromium-discuss
There are dozens of times (a day) when I want to temporarily download a file. It would save me quite a bit of time, if I didn't have to click 'Show in folder', wait for that to pop up, and delete it from there, then close explorer. (and yes I could just let the files pile up, for a weekly cleaning later but I don't like that)
I would propose that a 'delete' option is added to this context menu, just below 'show in folder' I would recommend it prompt for confirmation if the file is larger than 10MB (don't want to accidentally delete that 2gb file you waited 30 minutes to download). also once a file is removed, that delete option could be replaced with a 're-download' option that will initiate the download all over again.

PhistucK

Apr 23, 2017, 9:10:56 AM4/23/17
to Jcee, Chromium-discuss
Sounds like you want the "Run" option. You can star crbug.com/333 for updates.
(I do not think any other browser provides a "Delete file" option)

PhistucK

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Jcee James <jceej...@gmail.com> wrote:
There are dozens of times (a day) when I want to temporarily download a file. It would save me quite a bit of time, if I didn't have to click 'Show in folder', wait for that to pop up, and delete it from there, then close explorer. (and yes I could just let the files pile up, for a weekly cleaning later but I don't like that)
I would propose that a 'delete' option is added to this context menu, just below 'show in folder' I would recommend it prompt for confirmation if the file is larger than 10MB (don't want to accidentally delete that 2gb file you waited 30 minutes to download). also once a file is removed, that delete option could be replaced with a 're-download' option that will initiate the download all over again.

Jcee James

Apr 23, 2017, 5:20:54 PM4/23/17
to Chromium-discuss, jceej...@gmail.com
This would only cover half my use-case as I would want to delete Images as well. (yes you can drag/drop across tabs, in IDEAL situations) but its easier to save, in others (especially if you don't know exactly what tab your upload form is on) Also a delete would work for any filetype. (drag/drop only works for images, and only ones formatted a certain way in html)
If anything delete would accomplish the same thing as a run feature, except requiring 2 extra clicks.

PhistucK

PhistucK

Apr 24, 2017, 1:31:07 AM4/24/17
to Jcee, Chromium-discuss
I am not sure why you think this does not work for images ("Run" is simply "Open") or how drag and drop is related here.

PhistucK

Jcee James

Apr 24, 2017, 6:58:39 AM4/24/17
to Chromium-discuss, jceej...@gmail.com
my use-case is not viewing the image ( I already viewed it in my browser) it is sharing the image. Thus drag/drop being a way to take the image from one website, and upload it to another.
Steps I currently take:
1. right click an image>Save Image
2. switch to tab with upload.
3. drag the saved file from the bottom bar, to the upload form, and upload
4. right click the item in the downloads bar, and select 'show in folder'
5. wait for explorer to open, just to press the delete key, and enter
6. close explorer.exe

Ideal situation
1. drag image on tab 1 to tab 2
2. drop it on the 'upload' button.

Issues with ideal situation
1. not all images can be dragged.. (it depends on how the website formatted it)
2. not all websites support drag/drop
3. if you have multiple tabs, and cant immediately drag the image to the correct one, it becomes a hassle

My suggested path:
1. right click an image>Save Image
2. switch to tab with upload.
3. drag the saved file from the bottom bar, to the upload form, and upload
4. right click the item in the downloads bar, and select 'delete'

while we are at it, an 'open with' option would be a nice addition to this context menu too.

PhistucK

Apr 24, 2017, 7:28:53 AM4/24/17
to Jcee, Chromium-discuss
Yes, "Run" (or "Open") will not be enough here.

Again, no other browser has it (as far as I know). Browsers are not file managers, so I guess it makes sense not to have this option.
(People that deal with lots of downloads and their particulars tend to use a download manager, I guess)

PhistucK

Jcee James

Apr 24, 2017, 8:11:56 AM4/24/17
to Chromium-discuss, jceej...@gmail.com
>Again, no other browser has it (as far as I know).
So because no one has done it, it must be a bad idea? sounds faulty to me.
Yes more people are going to ask for a feature they are have already used in another product.. because that product made them aware of how such a feature would help them

> Browsers are not file managers, so I guess it makes sense not to have this option.
(People that deal with lots of downloads and their particulars tend to use a download manager, I guess)
 (sarcasm) I guess your right, they should remove the downloads bar all-together! The downloads page suffices. (/sarcasm)

My point being this is a very easy feature to implement (maybe an hour) with virtually no down-side (the current context menu only has 4 items, even adding 3-4 more would not make it feel cluttered or messy)
that would shave 2-3 minutes off my daily work-flow (and I suspect many many others as well)

PhistucK

Apr 24, 2017, 10:23:56 AM4/24/17
to Jcee, Chromium-discuss
I can definitely state that this will not take an hour to implement (implementation, error handling, cross platform code, tests), but that is not the point. :)

Chrome tends to cater for the majority of its users rather than for a (vocal or not) minority. This feature does not feel like one that will be used by most users, but you can certainly use crbug.com for suggesting it. I would not count on it being implemented, though.

PhistucK

Jcee James

Apr 24, 2017, 11:31:12 AM4/24/17
to Chromium-discuss, jceej...@gmail.com
Your right time is not the point (I work at a much smaller scale, where time investment is often the deciding factor on a feature)
However I still do feel that most people who download files (this even covers the use-case of the 'run' option you linked me to, because they are looking for a way to delete installers quickly) would benefit from this.
and what is the down side? another option in a context menu that has plenty of room (they don't really lose navigational efficiency until you get 8+ options in them) and less than 1kb of ram.
And thanks for the link, I actually thought this was where to post suggestions :P (or is this more of a filter to refine those suggestions?)

PhistucK

Apr 24, 2017, 11:40:20 AM4/24/17
to Jcee, Chromium-discuss
While not explicitly mentioned there, I think the "Run" feature is deleting (or scheduling for eviction) the file once the application that it opened is closed (like the Internet Explorer feature?), but I have not gone much through the comments there.

The preferred place for feature requests as well as bugs is crbug.com, yes. This group sometimes gets both of those, mostly because people do not realize that crbug.com is the correct place, but also in order to spur discussions about a feature they had in mind and gauge interest, though the end result is usually that they are being referred to crbug.com.

Regarding time, time spent on this feature would be time not spent on a different, possibly more helpful or useful, feature.

By the way, regarding the comparison to other browsers, since this suggestion does not sound like a totally new invention of which no one already thought, comparing to other browsers makes sense (to me).

PhistucK

Jcee James

Apr 25, 2017, 2:01:35 PM4/25/17
to Chromium-discuss, jceej...@gmail.com
@ run waits until the instance closes to remove it.
Yea I hadn't thought of that part. however it doesn't change the fact that adding delete to the context makes it easier to delete a recent file. (which  is something that overlaps the use-case of those requesting a 'run' feature, even if it is less effective comparatively it would still save them 5-10 seconds, compared to the current method. (tho if they did implement a proper 'run' it would override part of this features use-case)

@By the way, regarding the comparison to other browsers, since this suggestion does not sound like a totally new invention of which no one already thought, comparing to other browsers makes sense (to me).
no other browser has quite the same take on a downloads bar. (and if they do they probably copied chrome)
Also when you look at the idea of putting the tabs in the title-bar ;) no browser did that before either.

@Regarding time, time spent on this feature would be time not spent on a different, possibly more helpful or useful, feature.
Yes that is time taken away from other features, and it might not take an hour to implement. however the time such a feature would take is quite minimal compared to most features.