--kiosk cli does not respect --window-position

doll...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2014, 5:30:44 PM3/5/14
to chromium...@chromium.org
Hi all, I have a dual monitor setup, and my goal was to display two chromium kiosk windows, one on each monitor. It would be using the command line like this:

> chromium-browser --kiosk --window-position=0,0 &
> chromium-browser --kiosk --window-position=1920,0

However, the result is that I have two windows right on top of each other. It seems that my second command doesn't respect the --window-position property. I'd apprecate any advice on whether this is a bug or if there is a better solution to this. Thanks!

Here is my dev environment:

Chromium 34.0.1847.3 Ubuntu 14.04

Hardware:
Intel i7-3770 CPU
Intel Ivybridge Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
Two HP ZR24w LCD monitors

I have done
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade

I have tried --ash-host-window-bounds flag for chromium as well to no avail.

display information output:
> xrandr.orig -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 2400, maximum 32767 x 32767
VGA1 connected primary 1920x1200+0+1200 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 546mm x 352mm
   1920x1200      60.0*+
   1920x1080      60.0 +
   1600x1200      60.0
   1680x1050      60.0
   1280x1024      60.0
   1440x900       59.9
   1280x960       60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        60.0
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI2 connected 1920x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 518mm x 324mm
   1920x1200      60.0*+
   1920x1080      60.0 +
   1600x1200      60.0
   1680x1050      59.9
   1280x1024      60.0
   1440x900       59.9
   1280x960       60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        60.0
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

David Michael

Jul 24, 2014, 7:09:59 PM7/24/14
to chromium...@chromium.org
I found you can manage this by controlling the display layout using xrandr.

For example using your display names reported by xrandr above

xrandr --output HDMI2 --right-of VGA1
chromium-browser --kiosk
xrandr --output HDMI2 --left-of VGA1
chromium-browser --kiosk

Hope that helps.

Carl Duranleau

Dec 13, 2017, 4:27:43 AM12/13/17
to Chromium-discuss
I have the same problem with Chromium 62.0.3202.94 running on Ubuntu 16.04. I want to launch two browser windows in app mode with each having a specific site and a specific location/position.

I'm using there options:

First site: --app=http://some.site --window-size=960,1000 --window-position=0,0
Second site: --app=http://some.site --window-size=960,1000 --window-position=960,0

When I launch Chromium with these options, the second being launched always takes it's position from the first browser window and not from the --window-position parameter.

So, if I run the first, and then the second, I got two windows at 0,0. If I run the second, and then the first, I got two windows at 960,0. Really strange behavior.