Issue with Chrome Speech Synthesis and "US English Female Text-to-speech (by Google) voice

Caden Howell

Aug 17, 2017, 6:59:22 AM8/17/17
to Chromium-discuss

We're running into an issue with an application we're working on which highlights words as they are read aloud using the Speech Synthesis API on Chrome.  It works with the native voices installed with Windows 10, as well as Ubuntu.  But if we install the "US English Female Text-to-Speech (by Google)" voice (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/us-english-female-text-to/pkidpnnapnfgjhfhkpmjpbckkbaodldb) and select that, the highlighting breaks.  It appears that the SpeechSynthesisUtterance object we're using no longer gets sent the onboundary events that are sent when we use the native voices.

I found mention of what looks like the same issue in a note at the end of this Stack Overflow response: https://stackoverflow.com/a/38122794/809289
However, this issue says it occurs with "remote" voices and the "US English Female Text-to-Speech" claims it uses "Native Client Technolgy" so I'm not sure if they're related.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue?   I can't find any documentation for the voice extension itself, and I'm not sure which bug database I would look in.

Thanks,

Caden

PhistucK

Aug 17, 2017, 7:02:46 AM8/17/17
to 0x43...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
If I were you, I would have still used crbug.com to report this.

PhistucK

C. Howell

Aug 17, 2017, 1:03:52 PM8/17/17
to PhistucK, Chromium-discuss
Thanks!  I wasn't sure if it was appropriate, since it is an extension, but the only source for it seems to be the Chrome team, so this may be the best place to start.  I've filed Issue 756493. (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=756493

Henry

May 24, 2022, 7:11:36 PM5/24/22
to Chromium-discuss, 0x43...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss, PhistucK
Hello folks,
Not sure if this is directly related to this thread but it is extremely important to me.
I have used exactly that voice - Google UK English Female - on a free text to speech site called VoiceGenerator.io
Just a week or two ago, this voice has changed - it is not the same anymore.
This was and is a huge disaster and tragedy for me, because I do voice-over narration for video use, and need this exact voice that now has disappeared and changed to another, much much worse and low quality (irritating) voice.
Thanks for any hints. Highly appreciated!
I've been thinking what happened? I know the browser is the key to the voices, but was it then because of 1.Chrome update 2.Windows7 update (in use) or 3.Google voices update?
Extremely difficult to find answers.
Thanks!

PhistucK