Chrome 25 Install - Remove Shortcuts as Part of Install or Post Install Script?

Davinci

Mar 19, 2013, 7:06:28 AM3/19/13
to chromium...@chromium.org
Hi,

I would like to install Chrome, but without the desktop shortcuts, start menu or quick launch icons (long story).  I have been playing with a script to remove the desktop shortcuts and start menu, but struggling with the quick launch icon, where at best I will need a reboot to remove this.  I am using SCCM to deploy Chrome and likely have a sequence to run a VBS to tidy up the shortcuts post install.

Just dawned on me, maybe I am trying to crack the nut the wrong way?  Is there a syntax to use at the commandline to install Chrome without any shortcuts or quick launch additions?  If anyone has done similar, would be very greatly to hear of any pointers or solutions?  If there are alternative tools or existing scripts to look up please let me know.

Thanks!

Message has been deleted

Davinci

Mar 19, 2013, 8:55:10 AM3/19/13
to chromium...@chromium.org
Can anyone advise if this can be done via the Master_Preferecnes file and how to do as part of deployment rather than post?

Jacob Hamm

Mar 19, 2013, 11:00:42 AM3/19/13
to chromium...@chromium.org

Seems like 2 months ago DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=0 stopped working and no matter what, enterprise chromium will always slap a desktop shortcut in the public desktop folder.

Jacob Hamm

Mar 19, 2013, 11:01:38 AM3/19/13
to chromium...@chromium.org

Jacob Hamm

Mar 19, 2013, 11:04:11 AM3/19/13
to chromium...@chromium.org
I usually use this...

"GoogleChromeStandaloneEnterprise.msi DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=0 MAKEDEFAULT=0 /Lime c:\chrome_install.txt"
so no shortcut is added, no default browser is changed and spits a logging file to the root C:\ directory... DESKTOP_SHORTCUT stopped working recently.

On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:06:28 AM UTC-5, Davinci wrote:
Message has been deleted

Joao da Silva

Mar 19, 2013, 11:10:27 AM3/19/13
to jrh6...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss

Davinci

Mar 20, 2013, 8:13:58 AM3/20/13
to chromium...@chromium.org, jrh6...@gmail.com, joaod...@chromium.org

Thank You,

So am I to do a post copy of the master_preferences settings?  If so, do I need to change the value to false?

 'master_preferences' file located at 'C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\master_preferences'.
  "distribution" : {
    "skip_first_run_ui" : true,
    "show_welcome_page" : true,
    "import_search_engine" : true,
    "import_history" : false,
  "create_all_shortcuts" : true,      "do_not_launch_chrome" : true,
    "make_chrome_default" : false

Davinci

Mar 21, 2013, 10:53:34 AM3/21/13
to chromium...@chromium.org, jrh6...@gmail.com, joaod...@chromium.org
Not false - if anyone else stumbles on this post - it appears there are some variable here.

   "do_not_create_desktop_shortcut": true,
    "do_not_create_quick_launch_shortcut": true,
    "do_not_launch_chrome": true,
    "do_not_register_for_update_launch": true,

Will see if it works - for other people post install, will have a vbs to copy the master pref files overwrite the existing one.

Saulius Saulenas

Sep 27, 2016, 8:20:19 AM9/27/16
to Chromium-discuss, jrh6...@gmail.com, joaod...@chromium.org
If you don't want to have Desktop shortcut after installation of Chrome, you have to modify MSI file, or create mst file for it. What you need to modify is "CustomAction" table in MSI. Action: BuildInstallCommand. You have to modify "Target" value.
Mine looks like this:
/silent /install "[ProductTag]" /installsource enterprisemsi[OptOmahaArgs] /appargs "appguid={8A69D345-D564-463c-AFF1-A69D9E530F96}&installerdata=%7B%22distribution%22%3A%7B%22msi%22%3Atrue%2C%22system_level%22%3Atrue%2C%22verbose_logging%22%3Atrue%2C%22create_all_shortcuts%22%3Afalse%2C%22msi_product_id%22%3A%22FD78FCBB-B20E-370E-BA1C-FE6886D4214F%22%2C%22allow_downgrade%22%3A[AllowDowngradeSubstitution]%7D%7D"

Omed Ali

Oct 19, 2016, 2:57:09 AM10/19/16
to Chromium-discuss, jrh6...@gmail.com

Could you please tell something about \chrome_install.txt file .. what does it actually contains ???

Does this procedure still working ???

PhistucK

Oct 19, 2016, 3:00:32 AM10/19/16
to omed...@zohocorp.com, Chromium-discuss, jrh6...@gmail.com
This page should explain the standard MSI parameters -
It is probably an installation log file (lists the operations that were done by the installer and stuff).

PhistucK