Question About Chrome OS & NETFLIX

Lance J. Gosnell

Aug 8, 2010, 9:09:45 AM8/8/10
to Chromium-discuss
Just curious if Google Chrome OS will be able to stream netflix
movies?

As most current linux users now know this is not possible due to DRM
issues.

If Google can find away to make Microsoft, Netflix & Hollywood happy I
might switch to chrome if not.. I guess I am just stuck without
netflix streaming because I refuse to ever re-install windows again.

Ben

Aug 8, 2010, 12:43:05 PM8/8/10
to jlgo...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
As I see it, there are two possible solutions:

1.) Microsoft releases a DRM binary plug-in which can be used with an
open-source plug-in to watch DRMed content.
2.) netflix stops using DRM.

Well, Microsoft could release their own silverlight plug-in (we're
talking about silverlight here, right?), instead of just a DRM binary,
but I doubt they'll do that. They don't seem willing to go that far for
users of other operating systems.

Peter Pauly

Aug 8, 2010, 12:51:47 PM8/8/10
to benj...@gmail.com, jlgo...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
There's a third option - Netflix could use a different kind of DRM for linux users instead of Microsoft's.