Headless mode questions

Brian Cardarella

Apr 26, 2017, 3:37:25 AM4/26/17
to Chromium-discuss
I'm really looking forward to Chrome 59 and getting headless mode. I've been playing with it on Canary and it is a really exciting feature.

I've had several ideas on how we can use it. Outside of the normal use case for integration testing our applications.

I have two questions:

* Would the performance characteristics of headless chrome allow for it to be used as a sever side rendering option for JS apps?
* Will headless chrome have "tabs". In the sense that it can render several requests in parallel? It would be great if we could dispatch certain acceptance tests in parallel to improve the run time of our test suite.

Thanks!

PhistucK

Apr 26, 2017, 4:48:04 AM4/26/17
to br...@dockyard.com, Chromium-discuss
I believe headless mode does not use the GPU, so you might experience some reduced performance in <canvas>, animations, transitions and scrolling in big or graphic intensive documents.

I believe headless mode supports multiple tabs. The remote debugging protocol provides different endpoints for each tab, if I am not mistaken, for example.

PhistucK

Brian Cardarella

Apr 26, 2017, 4:51:20 AM4/26/17
to PhistucK, Chromium-discuss
I thought the gpu issue was only temporary?

----------------------
Brian Cardarella
CEO of DockYard
Visit us: http://dockyard.com
Call us: (855) DOCK-YRD
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bcardarella
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DockYard

PhistucK

Apr 26, 2017, 5:37:27 AM4/26/17
to Brian Cardarella, Chromium-discuss
headless-dev might be more helpful and authentic.

PhistucK