Stable Channel Rollout Process

Jeremy Jackson

Apr 26, 2017, 2:24:11 AM4/26/17
to Chromium-discuss
When a version of Chrome goes to the Stable Channel, how long does that take to rollout? For example, from an enterprise standpoint, if we set the Google Updates policy to check for updates every 120 minutes, once a version goes Stable Channel, should all systems start updating within 120 minutes, or is there another variable in that timeframe?

Thanks!
Jeremy

PhistucK

Apr 26, 2017, 2:27:47 AM4/26/17
to aisfor...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Google usually uses a gradual roll out for everything and Chrome is no exception. Setting the interval does not guarantee immediate updates.
The Google Update servers handle it using some randomization, I guess.
Most of the users are updated in about two weeks.

PhistucK

Primiano Tucci

Apr 26, 2017, 10:33:26 AM4/26/17
to aisfor...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
I am not sure if there is something special about enterprise, but for the general releases the rollouts for any channel are slow [1] .
I don't think there is any fixed timeframe, and I guess depends on how the rollout goes.
The official release blogposts [2] usually mention "This will roll out over the coming days/weeks."

The Chrome Deployment Guide might have further details on this.
Hope it helps.