disable the warning 'You are using an unsupported command-line flag: —disable-web-security. Stability and security will suffer'

mojo

Feb 4, 2013, 10:46:56 AM2/4/13
to chromium...@chromium.org
Hi,

I am developing an application wherein i am using the --disable-web-security switch to render few pages.
i am using the below command to launch the browser:
chromium-browser --kiosk --allow-files-access-from-files --disable-web-security  xyz.html
But the browser page comes up with a warning message 'You are using an unsupported command-line flag: —disable-web-security. Stability and security will suffer'.

Note :
If i use the below command, the error message doesn't come but the page doesn't cover the whole screen :
chromium-browser --kiosk  --allow-files-access-from-files --disable-web-security  --app=xyz.html.

Please help.

stuart...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2013, 4:12:44 AM2/8/13
to chromium...@chromium.org
I too am also using chrome in Kiosk mode and have exactly the same issue where I am using the -disable-web-security switch.

chrome --kiosk --disable-web-security abc.htm

This displays the warning message 'You are using an unsupported command-line flag: —disable-web-security. Stability and security will suffer'.

The security is not a concern as my system as it is only being connected to a private network that does not have internet access.

Can this warning be switched off?

Thanks

Stuart

PhistucK

Feb 8, 2013, 4:32:43 AM2/8/13
to stuart...@gmail.com, chromium...@chromium.org
No, it cannot be switched off. You can compile Chromium by yourself and remove the code that shows it.

PhistucK

stuart...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2013, 4:50:35 AM2/8/13
to chromium...@chromium.org, stuart...@gmail.com

Ok thanks PhistucK I might have a go at compiling chrome then.

I would assume that Kiosk mode is often used as a way of rendering only local web pages rather than internet ones on embedded systems like mine.
It would therefore seem to me that in Kiosk mode specifically the option to hide these type of warning messages would be useful option?

mojo

Feb 21, 2013, 11:19:26 AM2/21/13
to chromium...@chromium.org, stuart...@gmail.com
Stuart,

Do you know the files that needs to be modified for disabling the message.

Thanks

Nico Weber

Feb 21, 2013, 11:21:44 AM2/21/13
to mohi...@gmail.com, chromium...@chromium.org, stuart...@gmail.com
You should run a local web server on your kiosk (`python -m
SimpleHTTPServer` in the directory root of your local files) instead
of using this flag. With a local web server, relative links will be
contained to the directory served by your server. Without this, your
whole disk is one origin that web pages can access. The info bar is
present because not using this flag is in your own best interest.

Nico

mojo

Feb 22, 2013, 8:41:42 AM2/22/13
to chromium...@chromium.org, mohi...@gmail.com, stuart...@gmail.com
i am not able to achieve the functionality with this approach.As of now ,it looks to me that the only option i have is to modify the chromium source and rebuild it.

Can you please tell me the files that needs to be modified for disabling the message.

Thank you.

mojo

Feb 25, 2013, 9:33:15 AM2/25/13
to chromium...@chromium.org, mohi...@gmail.com, stuart...@gmail.com
Any one?

thanks in advance

stuart...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2013, 12:03:20 PM2/25/13
to chromium...@chromium.org, mohi...@gmail.com, stuart...@gmail.com
I don't think this is an option for me either as my system is actually a number of small distributed embedded web servers on different microcontrollers, all connected to the central kiosk. Each embedded server is then located in its own iframe but due to the javascript restrictions my local chrome extension (chrome virtual keyboard) is unable to access the iframes hence disabling the security is the only option I know of at present.

Now if chrome supported a native android like keyboard my work around would not be required. At present the only two options I have are to disable this message and run ubuntu or licence windows8. If I wait another year then ubuntu touch may be a answer!

PhistucK

Feb 25, 2013, 12:07:47 PM2/25/13
to stuart...@gmail.com, chromium...@chromium.org, mohi...@gmail.com
You can inject content scripts into iFrames (using all_frames: true if I am not mistaken). You just cannot access them from their parents.
Use web messaging (or message passing) and you should be good to go.

PhistucK

Max Mustermann

Jan 14, 2017, 1:16:51 PM1/14/17
to Chromium-discuss
just add the switch --test-type

Ara

Apr 30, 2018, 3:31:36 AM4/30/18
to Chromium-discuss, eld...@googlemail.com
Love it, 4 years later and a reply that solves the issue original issue (although I agree running a local service to serve the files is a much preferred solution) Nice find Max.  I was looking though https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches and that one I would never had tried.  Thanks again!