Chrome GPO Download Restriction

Michael Fralick

May 16, 2018, 1:48:17 AM5/16/18
to Chromium-discuss
Hey all,

We are working on configuring ADMX files to roll out group policy for Chrome. Currently I see the setting 'Allow Download Restrictions' only gives us the following 4 options:

0= No Special restrictions
1= Block dangerous downloads
2= Block potentially dangerous downloads
3= Block all downloads

My goal is to block all downloads, except to a list of trusted/internal sites. Has anyone successfully deployed settings like this? Forgive me if I have asked an obvious question, my head has been spinning due to other projects going on.

Currently we have a blacklist of *, and a whitelist to all internal websites and applications. I can browse right to the test file we are trying to download (it is a photo displayed as a pdf, it shows up fine in the tab), but if we try to click download it opens a new tab with the download link, and then does nothing. I have enabled the prompt 'Ask where to save each file before downloading' to see if that will help. The file explorer window pops up, I click save, but the file is never saved.

Thanks

John Linden

Dec 9, 2018, 5:43:41 AM12/9/18
to Chromium-discuss, fral...@gmail.com
I have the same exact issue and am curious if you ever got a solution?  If I block potentially dangerous downloads it will not download even though I've set up the whitelist (I think I've set this up correctly at least).