[Feature Request][iOS] Contents Blockers API on Chromium

Glauber Lima

Aug 21, 2017, 1:44:36 AM8/21/17
to Chromium-discuss
Hi, everyone.

Within the release of iOS 9, Apple introduced a handy Safari feature called Content Blockers[1][2], which is essentially an API for content blocking (bad ads, images, scripts, entire site - DailyMail I'm looking at you! - and so on)

For the upcoming iOS 11 Apple is taking down the local VPN based Ad Blockers[3], so every current solution relying on this scheme will stop working and will be forced to switch to the Content Blockers API, which is a good thing if you ask me.

Since my digital life runs on a Chromium-based browser - Chrome, despite the fact I have switched to an iPhone SE, I'd like to see Chromium supporting this feature so I will be able to continue blocking bad sites and bad advertisements.

You can find attached a screenshot from Safari Settings which I have had enabled a third-party content blocking. Having this on Chrome would be awesome!

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0020.PNG

Jon Perryman

Aug 21, 2017, 9:34:52 AM8/21/17
to glaub...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
For chrome, you can use ad-block. If you mean chromium os, you wil need to ask that group.

Jon.

PhistucK

Aug 21, 2017, 9:47:59 AM8/21/17
to Jon Perryman, glaub...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
​The subject says "[iOS]". The author wants Chrome for iOS to apply content blockers just like Safari applies them. Chrome for iOS does not support extensions, so the author cannot install "ad-block" if you meant the extension.

This feature can only be implemented if WKWebView supports applying content blockers. If it does, it might be (probably) possible​ to implement. But if WKWebView does not support that, Chrome cannot implement that as well.

PhistucK

Glauber Lima

PhistucK

Aug 21, 2017, 12:00:36 PM8/21/17
to Glauber Lima, Chromium-discuss, Jon Perryman
Chrome for iOS never used Blink or (or before Blink, its own WebKit). Browsers on iOS cannot use their own rendering engine. Before WKWebVIew, Chrome used UiWebView with the Chrome network stack (and user interface as well as Chrome Sync), but with WKWebView, even the network stack is not the Chrome network stack (at least, it is not for the purpose of loading pages).

Anyway, as long as WKWebView supports content blockers, Chrome could support them, too. Do you know whether WKWebView supports content blockers?

PhistucK

Glauber Lima

Aug 21, 2017, 1:13:34 PM8/21/17
to Chromium-discuss, glaub...@gmail.com, jon.pe...@gmail.com

PhistucK

PhistucK

Aug 21, 2017, 1:47:22 PM8/21/17
to Glauber Lima, Chromium-discuss, Jon Perryman
Generally, for feature requests, you can search crbug.com for an existing issue for this feature request and star it. If you cannot find one, you can use the "New issue" link at crbug.com to file a new one.
(If you do find one, do not add comments like "+1" or "me, too", it only hinders the development and it does not make the engineers implement the feature more quickly.)

PhistucK