iFrame not loading in Chrome

Aimee Hovis

May 30, 2016, 9:30:58 AM5/30/16
to Chromium-discuss
I am having an issue with my iframe loading as well as the rest of the people at my school. Here is my website: https://sites.google.com/a/greenvilleschools.us/mrs-hovis-class/

This is the code embedded into the website:

<iframe style="OVERFLOW: hidden" height="1500" marginheight="0" src="https://aimeehovis.wix.com/firsties#!home/mainPage" frameborder="0" width="990" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

This site has worked in the past and only currently stopped working for no reason.  If someone could help, I would greatly appreciate it!  Also, is there any way to get the iframe to automatically adjust to the height needed for the page?

Thanks!

Jakob Kummerow

May 30, 2016, 10:43:26 AM5/30/16
to aho...@greenvilleschools.us, Chromium-discuss
Looks like the problem is that you can't include a (non-encrypted) HTTP site as an iframe in a HTTPS site. While you do set src="https://...", simply clicking that link shows that an automatic redirect to http://... is performed. Apparently wix.com doesn't support HTTPS for their customers' sites, see e.g. https://www.wix.com/support/html5/article/request-adding-an-ssl-certificate-https-to-your-site and https://www.wix.com/support/html5/ugc/a8961d5d-c4cf-4bd1-b2a1-2c6566b328c4/bdd5f832-da28-4c27-a2bf-56192fd9a07e. I'd suggest to complain to them; it's not the '90s any more, these days HTTPS should be standard.

Jason Bell

Mar 17, 2017, 6:05:42 PM3/17/17
to Chromium-discuss, aho...@greenvilleschools.us
Possibly I have another data point for this thread. I've just switched to use the Opera browser to try to bypass the problem, it worked! Initially Opera did show the iframes as expected. Ahh but that would be too easy to be the end of the story...

so on my snhiny new Opera browser, I signed in to Lastpass and also copied my bookmarks across by copying the bookmarks file from Chrome's data store and pasting the same fie to the opera data folder (basically Chrome and opera run on the same codebase). Having done these 2 things, the iframes stopped showing again.

Lastpass problem?
Bookmarks problem?
just plain old bad timing?

Anyway - there it is. still not solved but a bit more info added to the pile