How to implement chrome debugging protocol for a non-chrome application?

Zac Hansen

Sep 28, 2016, 2:19:02 AM9/28/16
to Chromium-discuss
I have an application with V8 embedded in it and I want to make it debuggable via Chrome, but am having trouble getting started.

I've looked through this:

and I have looked through the requests made back and forth during the process, but wanted to better understand the process I'd make this work.

I had originally thought the debugger UI was provided by the client/debugging chrome instance, but I'm seeing that it's provided by the host chrome if I'm reading things correctly:

<!doctype html>
<head>

<script type="text/javascript" src="inspector.js"></script> <<===== HERE
</head>

Is there any way to get this from the client chrome?  Or would I have to embed it in my application?

Can anyone comment on this or just in general if I'm even looking down the right path for this?

Thank you.

--Zac

PhistucK

Sep 28, 2016, 2:36:59 AM9/28/16
to xax...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
I do not know whether V8 supports the Chrome debugging protocol, though.
Perhaps google-chrome-developer-tools or v8-users will be more helpful...

PhistucK

Zac Hansen

Sep 28, 2016, 2:41:34 AM9/28/16
to PhistucK, Chromium-discuss
V8 doesn't support it, that's why I'm trying to write it.

Any help/insight/guidance in getting started writing a compliant "host" is what I'm looking for. A minimum set of messages to respond to to see some functionality.. or anything at all to help me know I'm barking up the right tree would be great.

Thank you.

--Zac

PhistucK

Sep 28, 2016, 2:43:41 AM9/28/16
to Zac Hansen, Chromium-discuss
Well, I did tell you that you might be barking at the wrong tree. :) google-chrome-developer-tools is the place for this discussion.

PhistucK