chrome 54 - fragment navigation on unload

Lukáš Zboroň

Sep 27, 2016, 8:16:12 AM9/27/16
to Chromium-discuss
Hi,

chrome 54 introduces change, that prevents navigation in unload event. I have an application, which consists of several pages and I have run into an issue with this new behavior.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Main page opens child tab.
2. User performs changes in child tab and clicks to close it.
3. Child page uses unload event to notify main page about some changes. It does so by changing location.hash of main page (window.opener).

In chrome 53 and lower this worked well, but in chrome 54 hash is not changed. It seems to be caused by this change which prevents navigation during unload. In my case there is an attempt to do fragment navigation, but this navigation does not occur in the window that is being unloaded, it happens in opener window.

I understand that navigations in the same tab are now prevented, but should also navigations in other windows/tabs be prevented by this change?

Lukas Zboron

PhistucK

Sep 27, 2016, 8:30:29 AM9/27/16
to Lukáš Zboroň, Chromium-discuss
You can search crbug.com for an existing issue and star it. If you cannot find one, file a new issue using the "New issue" link on the same page.
Please, do not add a "+1" or "Me too" or "Confirmed" (or similar) comment. It just wastes the time of Chrome engineers and sends unnecessary e-mails to all of the people who starred the issue.

You can reply with a link to the found or created issue and might get triaged (and fixed) faster.

Thank you.

PhistucK