Chromium search engine locked to "Yahoo!"

succes...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2017, 2:40:28 AM8/17/17
to Chromium-discuss
Hello,

I can't change default search engine "Yahoo!" to another one in Chromium settings (see picture). "Yahoo!" is probably the worst search engine I ever use (just my opinion). Is there a trick to do so ?

Thank you :)
2017-08-16_224514.png

PhistucK

Aug 17, 2017, 12:11:12 PM8/17/17
to succes...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Note that Chrome is much better to use - it updates automatically, so it keeps you secure, has Flash support, more video support and other Google only services.

Where did you get your Chromium?

PhistucK

succes...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2017, 2:08:51 AM8/20/17
to Chromium-discuss, succes...@gmail.com
Yes, I use it to (Chrome) but I like to use several Web browsers, one for each separate activitie (bookmarks, tabs, computing power management)

I guess I installed Chromium myself. Why ? :)

PhistucK

PhistucK

Aug 20, 2017, 2:26:49 AM8/20/17
to succes...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Got it.

I asked where you got it from, not whether you installed it. :)
I asked that, because if you got it from a "dubious" source, it might be bundled with stuff, or configured with stuff that are not part of the core Chromium experience, like a non-overridable Yahoo search engine.

PhistucK

Jeff Leternal

Aug 20, 2017, 4:57:59 AM8/20/17
to PhistucK, Chromium-discuss
Ok :)

I can't remember where I got it...
You don't have this locked search engine issue with Chromium ? Or maybe you don't use it at all ?

Thank you.

PhistucK

Aug 20, 2017, 6:24:43 AM8/20/17
to Jeff Leternal, Chromium-discuss
I do not use Chromium for anything other than testing older versions of Chrome.

By the way, you seem to be using an older Chromium version (the settings page looks different now). This puts you at great risk of being hacked.

I just tried Chromium 53 and Chrome 60 - you cannot edit the "Default search engines" section (except making one of them the default, if you have a few). However, you can add custom search engines and make them the default.
Are you seeing something different?

PhistucK

Jeff Leternal

Aug 20, 2017, 6:36:50 AM8/20/17
to PhistucK, Chromium-discuss
Can't be sure it's different but I'll try the updated version!

You're right, absence of auto-update function is risky.

Is this the legit Chromium download page : https://chromium.woolyss.com/download/fr/ ?

PhistucK

Aug 20, 2017, 7:03:24 AM8/20/17
to Jeff Leternal, Chromium-discuss
I cannot tell you for sure, I do not know the owner. If it ends up downloading from Google (googleapis.com or something similar, I forget), I would trust it (it still will not update automatically and it is not guaranteed to work, but it will at least be a trustable binary).

So can you add custom search engines?

PhistucK

Jeff Leternal

Aug 20, 2017, 8:50:18 AM8/20/17
to PhistucK, Chromium-discuss
Ok!

Yes! I see it now! A blue transparent button that appears when I hover associated URL "Utiliser par défaut" in french. And it works, except with Google search engine (button does not appear). 'Gonna use DuckDuckGo instead... after I downloaded update version ;)
Images intégrées 1

Great!

Thank you mate :)

PhistucK

Aug 20, 2017, 10:10:14 AM8/20/17
to Jeff Leternal, Chromium-discuss
If it does not work with Google, it means it is the default search engine, I believe...

PhistucK

Jeff Leternal

Aug 20, 2017, 11:49:51 AM8/20/17
to PhistucK, Chromium-discuss
It wasn't as I used to always end up with Yahoo! results after entering keywords in the omnibox.
Images intégrées 1

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com