Automatic regression testing of SVG files

Mia Petkovic

Jun 1, 2017, 2:06:08 AM6/1/17
to Chromium-discuss
I am currently investigating different options how to automate regression testing of SVG files.
I would like to create a tool that checks the newly generated SVGs against ground truth ones and visually display differences in SVG structure.

I assume that Chromium SVG rendering functionality might be a subject of a frequent changes in Chromium development process and that it is needed to be automatically tested.
I would like to know how is this regression testing done. What are the strategies, are there any external tools, libraries that can be used?

PhistucK

Jun 1, 2017, 2:12:27 AM6/1/17
to mia5...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
The layout tree is dumped using some mechanism and compared with a recorded dump.
A dump example -

Huh, I see there is also a PNG file, so maybe that is not a good example. I do not think all of them have PNG results, though.

PhistucK

Stephen Chenney

Jun 2, 2017, 12:04:54 PM6/2/17
to PhistucK, mia5...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Chrome testing of SVG files uses the layout testing framework to verify document layout structures and/or final rendered pixel output. It is not directly verifying anything about the SVG file itself, and it is not uncommon to modify the SVG content while giving the same test outputs (ref tests do this explicitly using 2 files that are supposed to have pixel-exact matching output).

So Chromium testing will work if you care about how an SVG file is rendered, but is not suited to comprehensively testing the SVG file itself.

Stephen.

PhistucK

Jun 22, 2017, 6:46:08 PM6/22/17
to Karen Vaccaro, Chromium-discuss
If you meant to unsubscribe -
Try sending a blank e-mail to chromium-discuss+unsub...@chromium.org (note that +unsubscribe in the address, it is important). If you already did exactly that, skip this.
If that does not work and you are still getting e-mails -
2. Click on the button that has an icon of a head and shoulders.
3. Click on "Leave group" and you are done. Or -
 a. Select in the selection box - "Don't send email updates".
 b. Click on "Save".

PhistucK

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 1:30 AM, Karen Vaccaro <krva...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please take me off your Chromium list....it's been very helpful.  thank you.  also, for Mia Petkovic, Phistuck, Stephen Chenney, and chromium-discuss.  sincerely, Karen vaccaro