use_system_harfbuzz not working, source harfbuzz broken

t dance

Sep 17, 2017, 1:38:53 PM9/17/17
to Chromium-dev
Chromium-63.0.3217.0 Linux LFS-like

Last time success building with 61.0.3130.0

Current chromium use_system_lcms2 = true doesn't add -I/usr/include
Reported the bug
use_system_lcms2 = false (default) works correctly

use_system_harfbuzz = true ignored. I see
 -I../../build/linux/debian_jessie_amd64-sysroot/usr/include/harfbuzz
resulting in
error: use of undeclared identifier 'hb_variation_t'

my own hb-common.h has hb_variation_t but the version from debian_jessie
doesn't have it. Other people same problem? Why does nightly build work?

Lei Zhang

Sep 18, 2017, 1:35:29 PM9/18/17
to t dance, Chromium-dev
It would be helpful to reference your bug reports. Looks like the
lcms2 issue is https://crbug.com/765914, so I will reply there.

For harfbuzz, not sure whose nightly builds you are referring to, but
the builds on chromium.org work because they have use_system_harfbuzz
left to the default value of false.
> --
> --
> "Chromium-dev" group.
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-dev/a6bd19e8-d887-43ac-ab91-6efe354738bf%40chromium.org.

t dance

Sep 18, 2017, 2:12:56 PM9/18/17
to Chromium-dev, dnts...@gmail.com
On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 7:35:29 PM UTC+2, Lei Zhang wrote:
It would be helpful to reference your bug reports. Looks like the
lcms2 issue is https://crbug.com/765914, so I will reply there.

Couldn't find my report but yes that is the one

For harfbuzz, not sure whose nightly builds you are referring to, but
the builds on chromium.org work because they have use_system_harfbuzz
left to the default value of false.

In my case it looks like  use_system_harfbuzz = true was ignored.
I kept the essential part of my first poting below:

Paweł Hajdan, Jr.

Sep 21, 2017, 7:40:09 AM9/21/17
to dnts...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
If you're building Chromium for a distro and want to use system libs, consider using https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/build/linux/unbundle/README .

Paweł

Koji Ishii

Sep 21, 2017, 8:15:29 AM9/21/17
to Paweł Hajdan Jr., Chromium-dev, dnts...@gmail.com
hb_variation_t is added in January, 2017.

Can you update your system Harfbuzz to newer version?

Generally, using up-to-date Harfbuzz is recommended, or sometimes required.

t dance

Sep 22, 2017, 3:22:03 AM9/22/17
to Chromium-dev, phajd...@chromium.org, dnts...@gmail.com

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 10:38 AM, t dance <dnts...@gmail.com> wrote:
> use_system_harfbuzz = true ignored. I see
>  -I../../build/linux/debian_jessie_amd64-sysroot/usr/include/harfbuzz
> resulting in
> error: use of undeclared identifier 'hb_variation_t'
>
> my own hb-common.h has hb_variation_t but the version from debian_jessie
> doesn't have it.

As you see my own harfbuzz has the new  hb_variation_t. The problem is that install script is ignoring my request.
For lcms2 it is now solved in upstream by reading pkg-config.
When I have the time I test it again for harfbuzz