PSA: New hard dependency on libappindicator3 on Linux

Tim Brown

Feb 22, 2018, 7:54:58 PM2/22/18
to Chromium-dev
TL;DR: Run 'sudo apt install libappindicator3-1'  (assuming glinux/debian/ubuntu) to ensure you have the required package installed.

Previously, we would opportunistically dlopen libappindicator if available, and use it under certain circumstances. We have now changed to using it all the time, and therefore require the package to be installed. The easiest way to make sure the library is installed, is simply to try to install it again. Assuming you are running a debian based system, run:

sudo apt install libappindicator3-1

If you are doing GTK+2 builds (instead of the default GTK+3), then you need to install libappindicator1 instead (or you can install both).

Let me know if you have any questions,
Tim

Tim Brown

Feb 22, 2018, 7:58:05 PM2/22/18
to Dirk Pranke, Chromium-dev
Yes, that should work too.

Tim

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 4:55 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpr...@chromium.org> wrote:
Rerunning install-build-deps.sh should also work, right?

-- Dirk

Dirk Pranke

Feb 22, 2018, 7:58:35 PM2/22/18
to timb...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 4:53 PM, Tim Brown <timb...@chromium.org> wrote:

Christian Biesinger

Feb 23, 2018, 9:38:22 AM2/23/18
to timb...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
The dev package is not needed? (libappindicator3-dev)

Christian

Dan Sinclair

Feb 23, 2018, 10:15:05 AM2/23/18
to dpr...@chromium.org, timb...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
It you see issues installing libxcursor1-dbg make sure you have the latest copy of the install dependencies script.

Dan

Ian Clelland

Feb 23, 2018, 10:47:14 AM2/23/18
to dsin...@chromium.org, Dirk Pranke, timb...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
Hi Tim,

Is this something that needs to be installed/updated on all of the swarming bots as well? This looks like it might be the cause of some build failures this morning (I've cc'd you on https://crbug.com/815046)

Tim Brown

Feb 23, 2018, 11:17:38 AM2/23/18
to Christian Biesinger, Chromium-dev
The dev package is not needed unless you are doing custom builds not using our sysroot.

Tim Brown

Feb 23, 2018, 11:18:44 AM2/23/18
to Ian Clelland, dsin...@chromium.org, Dirk Pranke, chromium-dev
Yes, it needs to be installed on the swarming bots. I thought I had already done that. Obviously not. I'll revert and update the bug.