New file descriptor watch API (POSIX)

Francois Pierre Doray

Jul 4, 2016, 2:07:53 PM7/4/16
to Chromium-dev
On POSIX, the FILE thread runs a MessageLoopForIO. Tasks running on this thread can thus register watchers that are notified when file descriptors become readable or writable without blocking.

As you probably already know, we plan to migrate the FILE thread to base/task_scheduler. base/task_scheduler threads don't run a MessageLoopForIO. We would like your opinion on the following doc which explains how we plan to allow watching file descriptors from base/task_scheduler: New file descriptor watch API (POSIX) [1].

Thanks!

The base/task_scheduler team

[1] Anyone with a @chromium.org account can comment. Please request comment access if you don't have a @chromium.org account.

François

Jul 26, 2016, 2:43:56 PM7/26/16
to Chromium-dev
Ping. Requesting feedback for this new API.

François

Jul 27, 2016, 6:28:27 PM7/27/16
to Chromium-dev
Moved to "Intent to implement: New file descriptor watch API (POSIX)"

François

Jul 27, 2016, 6:28:28 PM7/27/16
to Chromium-dev

Jochen Eisinger

Jul 28, 2016, 3:22:21 AM7/28/16
to fdo...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
Thanks for sharing the writeup. btw, there is no explicit approval required or anything, so if there are no further points raised than the comments on the doc that you got so far, feel free to move forward with the implementation!