Windows 8, all shortcuts fail with unspecified error

Jack Garcia

Sep 2, 2013, 9:23:55 PM9/2/13
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hello All,

I am trying to chase a bug I saw on windows 8 today. All the shortcuts in windows 8 pro give an unspecified error when run. When I go to the local directory it runs just fine from the executable. I can run perfectly from windows 7 os just not from windows 8. I modified the executable file and called it something different from chrome and added it to the mini installer. I believe that has something to do with it I just dont know why changing the name would render it broken. The path to the shorcuts are correct but still no go. Any help you guys can give me would be great and thanks in advanced.

-Jack

PhistucK

Sep 3, 2013, 2:00:47 AM9/3/13
to jackga...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
What is the path to which the shortcuts point?

PhistucK

Zachary Turner

Sep 3, 2013, 3:42:27 AM9/3/13
to phis...@gmail.com, jackga...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Are these start menu shortcuts or desktop shortcuts?

Jack Garcia

Sep 3, 2013, 9:27:55 AM9/3/13
to chromi...@chromium.org, phis...@gmail.com, jackga...@gmail.com
@PhistucK
The full path is the following:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\<newbrowsernamefolder>\Application\<newbrowsername>.exe

@Zachary Turner
I made an interesting observation just now after reinstalling the browser using the mini installer on the machine. The desktop shortcut worked 1 time then it gives an unspecified error message with the path of the shortcut. As for which shortcuts fail they all do after the initial working shortcut attempt. I wonder if this has anything to do with the custom name i gave it?

PhistucK

Sep 3, 2013, 9:47:11 AM9/3/13
to Jack Garcia, Chromium-dev
Before you use the shortcut the second time - is there any active instance of the EXE file?
If so, perhaps the issue is that the code fails to identify the process by its name, path or whatever property it uses and tries to create a whole new instance of the browser, using an already active user data directory, which should fail.

PhistucK

Greg Thompson

Sep 3, 2013, 9:53:18 AM9/3/13
to jackga...@gmail.com, chromium-dev, phis...@gmail.com
Since you mentioned that you're changing the name of the browser, you will need to make yourself intimately familiar with Microsoft's "Developing a new experience enabled Desktop Browser" document (linked to on http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/hh465413.aspx). Chances are that you haven't modified all of the many pieces of the puzzle to accommodate your new browser name.

Cheers,

Greg

Jack Garcia

Sep 3, 2013, 10:05:38 AM9/3/13
to chromi...@chromium.org, Jack Garcia
@PhistucK
I was hoping there was another instance, but that is not the case here.

@Greg Thompson
Any pointers as to what I might have missed since this work just fine for windows 7 and older. The major difference I see is that of the implementation of the metro app section for windows 8. I believe they follow the same steps as for windows 7 for creating these shortcuts. Please advice since I haven't been messing with chromium long enough to really know. Thanks.

Zachary Turner

Sep 3, 2013, 12:35:17 PM9/3/13
to jackga...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
You might try grepping the code for stuff having to do with shortcuts.  Things to search for might be "shortcut" or ".lnk".  Off the top of my head, there's some stuff in winrt_utils.cc that might be relevant (see the function ReadArgumentsFromPinnedTaskbarShortcut).  Browsers in Win8 are pretty weird, and shortcuts are a lot more than just a target path.

Greg Thompson

Sep 3, 2013, 11:57:56 PM9/3/13
to Jack Garcia, chromium-dev
On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Jack Garcia <jackga...@gmail.com> wrote:
@PhistucK
I was hoping there was another instance, but that is not the case here.

@Greg Thompson
Any pointers as to what I might have missed since this work just fine for windows 7 and older.

Browser launching between Win7 and Win8 are completely different. In Windows 8, a "new experience enabled Desktop Browser" must jump through several hoops. A DelegateExecute verb handler is one of them. I suspect you haven't made some updates there. If you are making your own browser, I highly recommend that you read MS's documentation on how to do it properly.

Sinh Nguyen

Sep 5, 2013, 4:16:23 AM9/5/13
to chromi...@chromium.org
Any update for this problem?
I also had this.

Vào 08:23:55 UTC+7 Thứ ba, ngày 03 tháng chín năm 2013, Jack Garcia đã viết:

Greg Thompson

Sep 5, 2013, 8:33:51 AM9/5/13
to ndsi...@gmail.com, chromium-dev
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 4:16 AM, Sinh Nguyen <ndsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Any update for this problem?

The original poster's problem was with his custom browser built on the Chromium codebase, not with Chromium or Google Chrome itself. If you're experiencing a problem with Chromium or Google Chrome, please create a new issue according to the guidelines at http://www.chromium.org/for-testers/bug-reporting-guidelines. If your problem is specific to Chromium or Google Chrome on Windows 8, add the Proj-Windows8 label.

On the other hand, if you're experiencing problems with your own custom browser built on the Chromium codebase, then please read the whole thread to find pointers to the information you need to know in order for your browser to integrate with Windows 8.

Cheers

--
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Sinh Nguyen

Sep 10, 2013, 7:49:34 AM9/10/13
to chromi...@chromium.org, ndsi...@gmail.com
I'm completed checking on my build.
Cauze I changed the browser's name so the problem was:
Run setup file: mini_installer.exe, the shortcut on Windows 8 cannot work.
But it work on Windows 7.
The image I attach include 3 points:
1. The folder of browser.exe (~./application/browser)
2. The shortcut of "browser.lnk" file
3. The Error dialog.

What's things I need to check again to solve them?

Vào 19:33:51 UTC+7 Thứ năm, ngày 05 tháng chín năm 2013, Greg Thompson đã viết:

Greg Thompson

Sep 10, 2013, 9:17:42 AM9/10/13
to Sinh Nguyen, chromium-dev
I can't say exactly what the problem you're facing is, but the answers are likely in Microsoft's "Developing a new experience enabled Desktop Browser" document (linked to on http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/hh465413.aspx). As I mentioned up-thread, there are many new details for browsers on Windows 8 that you need to be familiar with if you are making your own browser.

Cheers

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Sinh Nguyen <ndsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm completed checking on my build.
Cauze I changed the browser's name so the problem was:
Run setup file: mini_installer.exe, the shortcut on Windows 8 cannot work.
But it work on Windows 7.
The image I attach include 3 points:
1. The folder of browser.exe (~./application/browser)
2. The shortcut of "browser.lnk" file
3. The Error dialog.
I very confused why it only run on Windows 7? what's thing I need to check again?