Cef version with mp3 but no other proprierary codecs

Юрий Ульянец

Jul 19, 2017, 12:23:32 PM7/19/17
to Chromium-dev
Hi

For the project Im working on I need to enable mp3 support in cef, which is used inside my application

As I know mp3 is patent is expired and no license fees needed for using it

I managed to assemble cef with enabled proprietary codecs, but this option also activates lots of codecs like aac, which still have active licensing patents

What I found lookingh throug cef code is what proprietary codecs are enabled using BUILDFLAG(USE_PROPRIETARY_CODECS) macros

So far I found that if comment out lines like AddContainerWithCodecs("audio/aac", implicit_codec, true); inside chromium\src\media\base\mime_util_internal.cc, the check on https://html5test.com/ shows they are not supported.

But when I commented out mp3 from supported types and run WebGl app, Im working on, it still played sound.
So my guess is that it plays mp3 from stream, and still founds codec, so changes in mime_util_internal.cc does not have impact.

Is there any checklist what I have to do to enable mp3 support only?

Would be happy to have any comments on that

Best regards
Yuri

Dale Curtis

Jul 19, 2017, 4:18:34 PM7/19/17
to jerry...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Sorry there's no easy way to do this currently. You'll have to manually adjust the build files to give you just mp3 support. I don't have good advice on how to do that since it'd be quite tricky.

However, your e-mail reminded me that I haven't heard back from our lawyers about enabling this in Chromium, so I've reached out to them again on it. So no news right now, but possibly in the future.

- dale

PhistucK

Jul 19, 2017, 4:28:12 PM7/19/17
to Dale Curtis, jerry...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Anthony already stated recently that there are no plans to enable MP3 support by default in Chromium -

PhistucK

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-dev/CAPUDrweDnFqzxd5qh6dVUOVZ4F_tZXs0uSqrUYAnUKRJvnPV2A%40mail.gmail.com.

Dale Curtis

Jul 19, 2017, 4:35:07 PM7/19/17
to PhistucK, jerry...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Thanks for the link. I've added a reply there with the same clarity I've given here.

- dale

Dale Curtis

Jul 19, 2017, 4:50:44 PM7/19/17
to PhistucK, jerry...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Thanks for your message, the lawyers had forgotten to send their update, so now I have an update to share: We'll be enabling mp3 in M62 for Chromium builds. Hope this helps!

- dale

Steve Camire

Dec 12, 2017, 6:56:35 PM12/12/17
to Chromium-dev, jerry...@gmail.com
This is unfortunate. I'm also in a position where I'd like to add just MP3 support to an older version of CEF. The reason for doing this in an older version is because my wrapper for CEF hasn't updated to the latest versions yet. Any sort of directions to do this or to at least get started would be really great.

Chrome Cunningham

Dec 12, 2017, 8:12:25 PM12/12/17
to Chromium-dev, jerry...@gmail.com
Mp3 support is now available in chromium canary build (or will be in a day or so depending on release cycle). This will ship with M65. Technically the support is there in M64 as well, but canPlayType("audio/mpeg") will still report "" (no) until M65.

Юрий Ульянец

Mar 14, 2018, 8:31:18 AM3/14/18
to Chromium-dev, jerry...@gmail.com
Hi,

We just downloaded the last M65 binary distribution, built Cefclient test example and we still dont have mp3 working.

Should we enable it by using some command line flag, or setting some kind of parameters?

Is there any checklist what we need to do?

Chrome Cunningham

Mar 14, 2018, 3:58:14 PM3/14/18
to Chromium-dev, jerry...@gmail.com
Hi,

> We just downloaded the last M65 binary distribution, built Cefclient test example and we still dont have mp3 working.

Where / how did you download the binary?
When you say mp3 isn't working, how do you mean? Are you trying to simply <video src=some.mp3></video> - or using MSE? What is the observed result?

I'm checking out the source code for 65 in stable channel (65.0.3325.162 on linux). Will post back once I've got a build.

Chris

Chrome Cunningham

Mar 14, 2018, 5:55:03 PM3/14/18
to Chromium-dev, jerry...@gmail.com
Tested my locally built chromium, sync'ed to version 65.0.3325.162

I am able to play MP3 in MSE and directly via <video src="some.mp3></video>

I also find that HTMLMediaElement.canPlayType and MediaSource.isTypeSupported all indicate mp3 support

video.canPlayType('audio/mpeg')
"probably"
video.canPlayType('audio/mp4; codecs="mp4a.69"')
"probably"
video.canPlayType('audio/mp4; codecs="mp4a.6B"')
"probably"
MediaSource.isTypeSupported('audio/mpeg')
true

Note that mp3 in mp4 is still not supported in MSE - neither in chrome nor chromium.

MediaSource.isTypeSupported('audio/mp4; codecs="mp4a.6B"')
false

Raymond Toy

Mar 15, 2018, 3:24:05 PM3/15/18
to chcunn...@chromium.org, chromium-dev, jerry...@gmail.com
So this means that chromium without special build flags can decode mp3s now?

If so, Wooohoo!  Gotta go enable some tests that are marked as skip.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-dev/5c1d76cc-f5c8-4fab-b80d-aa69fab004db%40chromium.org.

Chrome Cunningham

Mar 15, 2018, 5:48:46 PM3/15/18
to Chromium-dev, chcunn...@chromium.org, jerry...@gmail.com, rt...@chromium.org