PSA: Testing non-Chromium Patches on Chromium Trybots Is Possible

Andrii Shyshkalov

Apr 29, 2016, 11:28:01 AM4/29/16
to Chromium-dev, infra-dev

tl;dr If you work on a project which is rolled into chromium/src as DEPS, you can try your CL against any chromium trybot

  • if project ∊ {V8, Angle, Pdfium, Skia} immediately possible

  • else requires 1 line change in here (doc) first for project opt-in

How?

  1. Ensure your project is listed in patch_projects here (doc). If not, submit a one-liner CL or request tandrii@ to whitelist it for you.

  2. Just upload your CL for review as you normally do it

  3. Schedule the tryjob to a desired trybot through:

    1. Rietveld UI

    2. git cl try -m tryserver.chromium.{linux,mac,win,android} -b <bot>

    3. Add the line to your CL's description and send it to CQ (or CQ dry run):
      CQ_INCLUDE_TRYBOTS=tryserver.chromium.linux:bot1,bot2

What if my project is DEPS-ed into something other than chromium. Can I use this too?

Yes, if that other project uses bot_update (and it should)!
See doc and if in doubt, contact tandrii@

Credits

This is built on top of work of Michael Achenbach (machenbach@) to test V8 patches against chromium. This paved a smooth way for other dependencies to enjoy this, too.

Contact & Bug Reports

tandrii@

Or file a bug.

If you want chromium trybots to run layout tests on your patches,

the relevant folders have to be added here.

Btw, why is whitelisting necessary?

I didn't find automatic way to do it. Ideas are welcome, patches even more so :)