Build chrome 55.0.2883.87 success but launch with error on Window

Erxin Shang

Apr 17, 2017, 5:06:26 AM4/17/17
to Chromium-dev
Build chrome 55.0.2883.87 base on the release tags with these steps.

1. Set up necessary environment and VS 2015 Update 3
2. fetch chromium
3. cd src && git checkout -b branch55 55.0.2883.87
4. cd .. && gclient sync --with_branch_heads --job 16
5. gn gen out\Default
6. ninja -C out\Default chrome

The build is successful but with two link warning

After build success try to run chrome.exe in out put will get error

OS: Window 10

Also tried window server 2012 R2, same error.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Edwin

Erxin Shang

Apr 17, 2017, 5:08:43 AM4/17/17
to Chromium-dev
BTW, I could build && run latest chromium successfully. Did I miss configure anything?

Regards
Edwin

Erxin Shang

Apr 18, 2017, 10:37:46 PM4/18/17
to Chromium-dev
Update more detail about the error:

The exception is happened in navigation_handle_impl.cc

bool NavigationHandleImpl::IsSamePage() {
  DCHECK(state_ == DID_COMMIT || state_ == DID_COMMIT_ERROR_PAGE)
      << "This accessor should not be called before the navigation has "
         "committed.";
  return is_same_page_;
}

Does anyone know what's the main reason about why do we need to check the page is same or not?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Edwin

Erxin Shang

Apr 20, 2017, 8:53:13 PM4/20/17
to Chromium-dev
I have found a workaround for this issue. Currently don't know the influence but it make the browser start successful.

The workaround is just comment the DCHECK statement.

Regards,
Edwin

yuhou wang

Apr 18, 2018, 2:17:18 AM4/18/18
to Chromium-dev
this week I also built chrome 55.0.2883.87 successfully and ran into this issue. Is there official fix for this issue?

Ian Clelland

Apr 18, 2018, 11:08:34 AM4/18/18
to wang...@sina.com, chromium-dev
There won't be an official fix -- Chrome 55 was released in November 2016, and so is almost 18 months old now. The best course of action would be to update to something (much) more recent. If there was an actual issue, it would likely have already been fixed in the intervening releases. (Along with many, many other bugs)

For what it's worth, that DCHECK was removed in M56, but as part or a larger reorganization. I wouldn't know if it's correct to remove it without making any other changes.
See https://codereview.chromium.org/2345053006 for the actual change, if you want to try to understand all of the context around it.

But seriously, you probably shouldn't be using M55 for anything other than historical research if you can help it.