decoded VideoFrame called back for further processing in Unified Media Pipeline

ChromeMSE-Developer

Jan 12, 2017, 1:07:56 AM1/12/17
to Chromium-dev
Hi,
I am fairly new to chromium development. I used the old Android Media Pipeline to display media for my platform codec and MSE implementation based on Android pipeline. But after recent switch to Unified Media Pipeline, Android pipeline has been removed. When I analyzed the UMP, I noticed that it mandates the VideoFrame back after decoding for further processing as in a standard media pipeline. This actually makes the decoded VideoFrame available in the open space. How this will handled on a DRM based platforms where decoded VideoFrames cannot be given back after decoded content. Is it mandatory for all platforms relying on Android media pipeline has to switch back to UMP ?

Thanks in advance,
MSE Developer

PhistucK

Jan 12, 2017, 12:16:30 PM1/12/17
to prasadt...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Look for Widevine related code paths. As far as I know, a DRM protected video is played by the content decryption module on its own separate surface or something like that, Chrome does not get the frames themselves from the module.

PhistucK

Dale Curtis

Jan 12, 2017, 1:57:14 PM1/12/17
to PhistucK Productions, prasadt...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
The frames returned are only metadata based frames when output to a surface like SurfaceView. If you have content restrictions you'll need to ensure you force output to a SurfaceView to ensure license requirements are met. You can experiment with using --force-video-overlays https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/media/base/media_switches.cc?l=121 to do this. Currently it only works in fullscreen.

- dale

Krishna Prasad T

Jan 13, 2017, 3:41:24 AM1/13/17
to Dale Curtis, PhistucK Productions, Chromium-dev
Hi  Dale,

Thanks for your comments. It would be great if you could let me know if any there is a reference DRM enabled platform (e.g. cast ) which does not depend  on VideoFrame callbacks and work in full screen.

Thanks

Dale Curtis

Jan 13, 2017, 2:19:10 PM1/13/17
to Krishna Prasad T, PhistucK Productions, Chromium-dev
No such thing exists. You must use --force-video-overlays at present for content which requires secure output.

- dale