BoringSSL: error in verifying ECDSA signature?

Morix Dev

May 21, 2018, 4:36:43 AM5/21/18
to Chromium-dev
I really do not know it this is the right place for such a question... anyway...

For an embedded device, I've just compiled Chromium 56 (part of Qt 5.9.5 framework), but I've got some *strange* behavior about BoringSSL linked by Chromium...

Whatever HTTPS website I try to navigate to, I get the generic error page "This site can't provide a secude connection": ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR"... Everything works like a charm for non secure HTTP sites.

Digging down into source code I found that the problem arises in BoringSSL's function ECDSA_do_verify(), in file ecdsa.c: the last call to BN_cmp() returns a value different than zero, and actually variables u1 and sig->r have different values:

Using wget or cURL on the same device (both of the relying on OpenSSL original libraries instead of BoringSSL) works fine, so the problem appears strictly related to BoringSSL and/or Chromium...

Any ideas of the reason of SSL failure? And/or can you provide me a way for further debugging this kind of stuff?

Thanks.