PSA: Rietveld becoming fully read-only

Aaron Gable

Sep 22, 2017, 2:28:32 AM9/22/17
to infra-a...@chromium.org
Hey there code reviewers!

Since Chromium started using Gerrit, we've been busy migrating the last few repositories off of Rietveld. As of next week, the last active users of Rietveld will be fully moved, so now it's time to take the next step.

On Friday, September 29, Rietveld will become fully read-only.

You will not be able to upload new changes for any repo, upload new patchsets on any change, leave comments on changes, add or change reviewers, or take any other action that would mutate Rietveld's database. Both the old and new Rietveld UIs handle this moderately gracefully; over the next few weeks we'll be removing the links and buttons that offer mutating operations to prevent confusion as well.

If you have an in-flight change still on Rietveld, you will need to either land it in the next week, or use "git cl issue 0 && git cl upload" to reupload the change to Gerrit.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me on infr...@chromium.org. If you discover particularly bad behaviors on Rietveld, or (later on) think that I have missed removing a mutating link or button, please file a bug in the Infra>Codereview>Rietveld component.

Thanks, and happy reviewing!
Aaron

Aaron Gable

Sep 28, 2017, 7:54:47 PM9/28/17
to infra-a...@chromium.org
Reminder: this is happening tomorrow. The last project on Rietveld is being disabled as I type this. I'll update this thread again tomorrow after the database goes read-only!

Aaron
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/infra-announce/CAH58R2ekq9c1RBdCPtf%2Bry_%2B9DEwQRaNqWXWWmmYSC-UCh6hmQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Nico Weber

Sep 29, 2017, 2:28:37 PM9/29/17
to Aaron Gable, infra-a...@chromium.org
I still leave comments on old reviews several times a week. What's the recommended replacement for that? Filing a crbug with a link to the review and manually cc'ing reviewers?

(I'm mostly asking so that we can all do something consistent instead of everyone inventing their own convention.)

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 11:26 PM Aaron Gable <aga...@chromium.org> wrote:
[...]

Dirk Pranke

Sep 29, 2017, 3:21:57 PM9/29/17
to Nico Weber, Aaron Gable, infra-a...@chromium.org
Sending an email to the CL author and/or reviewers, or filing a bug and cc'ing the author and reviewers, depending on the severity,
seem like good options to me.

-- Dirk

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/infra-announce/CAMGbLiFhdfBEvGLxzVxP45GR7rwHSYKWuzK4mEiv_Laib31daQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Aaron Gable

Sep 29, 2017, 4:02:16 PM9/29/17
to Dirk Pranke, Nico Weber, Aaron Gable, infra-a...@chromium.org
Great question! For the sake of preserving data for posterity, I second Dirk's second suggestion: file a bug and CC the relevant people. It seems likely that this accurately represents the usecase of most old comments: "hey, this broke thing X", or "I'm going to revert part of this". If you comment on old changes just to ask questions about the reasoning behind them, then informal email makes sense to me.

Speaking of which, this is now done! In the coming time I'll be removing all mutating APIs and UI elements from Rietveld to prevent confusion, but aside from that the site is now static. The king is dead, long live the king!

Aaron

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Nico Weber <tha...@chromium.org> wrote:
[...]

anatoly techtonik

Oct 9, 2017, 3:43:22 AM10/9/17
to Aaron Gable, Dirk Pranke, Nico Weber, infra-a...@chromium.org
Should it be backed up to Web Archive?

--
anatoly t.

Aaron Gable

Oct 9, 2017, 1:02:27 PM10/9/17
to anatoly techtonik, Aaron Gable, Dirk Pranke, Nico Weber, infra-a...@chromium.org
The site is still serving, and will remain so indefinitely to avoid breaking old urls embedded in docs, commit messages, bugs, and email threads. Only the ability to modifying the contents has been removed.

I'm certainly in favor of getting archive.org to index as much as possible, but it isn't necessary to preserve information for posterity at this point.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/infra-announce/CAH58R2fDYWO7U3sORydVZBZWdWwzY3OfGXdGu-9yvfm3B32zow%40mail.gmail.com.

Ken Rockot

Oct 9, 2017, 1:13:59 PM10/9/17
to Aaron Gable, anatoly techtonik, Dirk Pranke, Nico Weber, infra-a...@chromium.org
What are the chances we could move old chromium rietveld CLs to new gerrit CLs? Is it feasible to retroactively create a gerrit CL from an already-merged commit?

>>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/infra-announce/CAMGbLiFhdfBEvGLxzVxP45GR7rwHSYKWuzK4mEiv_Laib31daQ%40mail.gmail.com.
>>>

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/infra-dev/CAMGbLiFhdfBEvGLxzVxP45GR7rwHSYKWuzK4mEiv_Laib31daQ%40mail.gmail.com.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/infra-announce/CAH58R2cvf6HzN_5Nung07JoT-8ddY%2BicJThp5UjvrCoeScV-kQ%40mail.gmail.com.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/infra-dev/CAH58R2cvf6HzN_5Nung07JoT-8ddY%2BicJThp5UjvrCoeScV-kQ%40mail.gmail.com.

--
anatoly t.

'Nodir Turakulov' via infra-announce

Oct 9, 2017, 1:20:46 PM10/9/17
to Ken Rockot, infr...@chromium.org, Aaron Gable, anatoly techtonik, Dirk Pranke, Nico Weber
bcc: infra-announce@
cc: infra-dev@

i think it is possible to create Gerrit CLs based on old revisions. We cannot modify git commits that point to Rietveld URLs (hash would change), but we can modify codereview.chromium.org to redirect to mirrored Gerrit CLs.