Local sync backend support on Linux

Alexander Yashkin

Jun 5, 2017, 3:00:22 PM6/5/17
to Chromium-dev
Hi all.
I have recently encountered Chrome support for roaming profile on Windows.

I wanted to ask if  - why this functionality is supported on Windows only. What are the limitations?
Is where a design doc for it?

What problems I need to solve if I am willing to support it on Linux?
My goal is to organize local sync between different workstation by using shared network folder.

WBR, Alexander Yashkin.

Nicolas Zea

Jun 5, 2017, 4:44:04 PM6/5/17
to a-...@yandex-team.ru, Chromium-dev, pasta...@chromium.org
+past...@chromium.org can say for sure. I don't think there are any technical limitations for it to be Windows only other than we were only planning to support it there.

You could just updating the various macros to include linux as well and see if it builds and works fine.

Julian Pastarmov

Jun 6, 2017, 7:06:29 AM6/6/17
to Chromium-dev, a-...@yandex-team.ru, pasta...@chromium.org
Hi,

there isn't anything in the code that is specific to Windows except the default location picked for the roaming profile but this is only so because it is currently behind the OS_WIN ifdef. Otherwise the code is platform independent. However you should keep in mind that currently this feature is not allowing for real-time multi-client sync. It reads the local sync profile once at startup and merges it in the regular profile and then only updates the local sync profile. Supporting two-way sync is currently not in the scope of the feature.

Best,
Julian

Eduard Satdarov

Jun 6, 2017, 8:41:05 AM6/6/17
to chromi...@chromium.org

Hi, I have checked your feature with 2 different computers using samba share folder. As you mentioned local sync doesn't work properly with multiple clients. If two computer are simultaneously executed we will have gaps in synced data because each computer tracks own progress marker. Even after browser restarts, local sync can't give store sync data to first computer from the second computer in case if the progress marker of the first computer is ahead of  the progress marker of the second computer. I tried to fix this problem. And I see one cheap solution for this problem. Before answering to sync request sync subsystem  in browser tries open "lock" located next to local sync file using exclusive write mode. If the browser managed to open "lock" file, the browser rereads  local sync file, commits changes or prepares response for "getUpdates" and saves changes to local sync file. In the end unlock "lock" file.  If the browser didn't manage to open "lock" file, response will be "throttled".  The main idea is to protect local sync state in shared folder with "lock" file so two instance of browsers could read and write it safely.

Julian Pastarmov

Jun 6, 2017, 8:46:06 AM6/6/17
to Chromium-dev
Privet,

One of the issues local sync has in contrast with proper Google Sync is that all conflict resolution is left to the client to accomplish. It will still be interesting if you can do a proof of concept implementation of your proposal it will be interesting to see how well it performs.

Best,
Julian

Alexander Yashkin

Jun 23, 2017, 3:36:41 AM6/23/17
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hi Julian.
Digging deeper with roaming profiles I have encountered such comment in
policy template components/policy/resources/policy_templates.json

"RoamingProfileSupportEnabled"
"To prevent accidental data leaks it is advisable to also set the <ph
to False."

But SigninAllowed policy is declared as deprecated lower in the same
file - do you think it should be un-deprecated?

--
С уважением,
Александр Яшкин

Julian Pastarmov

Jun 23, 2017, 11:54:08 AM6/23/17
to Chromium-dev
Hello Alexander,

this was a rather misinformed sentence in there. It is removed in the most recent versions of the policy templates.

Best,
Julian