native android pdfium build but no native pdf viewing?

Luke

Jun 26, 2017, 6:53:03 PM6/26/17
to Chromium-dev
According to this pdfium commit, pdfium has been buildable to android for about a year, and (so far as I understand) iOS Chrome has had support for in-tab pdf viewing for a while. Is there a plan to push this functionality onto Android, or is there a good reason for why this is hard or won't work that one should know about before trying to do this?

Thanks!

Lei Zhang

Jun 26, 2017, 7:08:48 PM6/26/17
to lme...@amazon.com, Chromium-dev
Are you looking for PDF viewing in a Chromium tab on Android, instead
of firing an intent to an external PDF Viewer?

PDFium has consumers on Android other than Chromium. The PDFium
developers got tired of breaking the build on Android, so the commit
you linked to is the start of enabling continuous builds for PDFium on
Android. It does not in any way imply there is a built-in PDF Viewer
in Chromium on Android.

For Chromium's PDF Viewer to work, it requires extension support and
PPAPI, among other things. Those dependent features are not supported
in Chromium on Android, and I do not think we are going to add them.