Is lkgr still being updated?

Fernando Serboncini

Nov 8, 2017, 11:15:04 AM11/8/17
to Chromium-dev
I was looking for a reliable way to sync to the latest green CL and learned about lkgr/lkcr  (last known green/compiled review) commits.

which is surfaced on https://chromium-status.appspot.com/lkgr and as remote branches (origin/lkgr origin/lkcr).

That said....as of now:
lkcr is a CL submitted on Tue Nov 7 17:26:57 2017 +0000
lkgr is a CL submitted on Mon May 8 14:08:33 2017 -0700

lkcr seems fine. But it seems lkgr has not been updated for a while? Or did we get that bad at greens or is something off?

cheers,
F.

Dirk Pranke

Nov 8, 2017, 11:30:25 AM11/8/17
to fs...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
Not really.

We've effectively stopped using and updating LKGR. We have too many different configurations to really define "good" very well (there's almost never a build that is green on *every* bot), and it wasn't used much, so trying to keep it updated wasn't a good use of time, and led to confusion in our users.

There's actually a bug on file somewhere to get rid of LKGR completely, but it's been a low-priority task. We'd like to move off of LKCR as well.

In a perfect world, these things would work well, but we're too far away from that and have too many other things to do to get there any time soon :(.

-- Dirk

Dominic Mazzoni

Nov 8, 2017, 11:41:55 AM11/8/17
to dpr...@chromium.org, fs...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
It's due to the fantastic work of the Infra team that we don't really need LKGR anymore. Years ago if you just synced to the latest revision on trunk there was a good chance it wouldn't even compile, and there are lots of other projects that still work that way. Thanks to the commit queue and excellent trybot coverage, trunk is green enough for everyday development the vast majority of the time.

Fernando Serboncini

Nov 8, 2017, 11:44:52 AM11/8/17
to Dominic Mazzoni, dpr...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
Ironically, I ended up checking lkgr because I sync'ed this morning and ended up with a weird linking bug: http://crbug.com/782697

But yeah, I agree with the sentiment. Way more often than not rebase-update doesn't break things for me. Props to everyone. :)

Marshall Greenblatt

Nov 8, 2017, 12:12:09 PM11/8/17
to fs...@chromium.org, Dominic Mazzoni, Dirk Pranke, Chromium-dev
When I sync master I pick the most recent canary branch_commit from https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/. Is this a good strategy (e.g. are canary branch commits more likely to build successfully), or have I just gotten lucky so far?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-dev/CADp2-T9AVu6NQDruqPT%3D_gQY2kwaX1jN%3DW0yW66-mG%3D1uMhmsA%40mail.gmail.com.

Dirk Pranke

Nov 8, 2017, 12:20:48 PM11/8/17
to Marshall Greenblatt, fs...@chromium.org, Dominic Mazzoni, Chromium-dev
We do do some analysis of build results prior to picking a revision for canary, so that's a better strategy than nothing :).

-- Dirk

Fernando Serboncini

Nov 8, 2017, 1:59:38 PM11/8/17
to Dirk Pranke, Marshall Greenblatt, Dominic Mazzoni, Chromium-dev
Could we have a branch that consistently tracks the canary pick instead of lkcr/lkgr?

Dirk Pranke

Nov 8, 2017, 2:44:39 PM11/8/17
to Fernando Serboncini, Marshall Greenblatt, Dominic Mazzoni, Chromium-dev
Good suggestion.

We're actively working to clean up the way we do branching and make it easier for devs to check out, build, and test branches. I think we can address this as part of that.

-- Dirk

Brian White

Nov 16, 2017, 1:46:04 PM11/16/17
That said....as of now:
lkcr is a CL submitted on Tue Nov 7 17:26:57 2017 +0000
lkgr is a CL submitted on Mon May 8 14:08:33 2017 -0700

lkcr seems fine. But it seems lkgr has not been updated for a while? Or did we get that bad at greens or is something off?

I did a "gclient sync" this morning and origin/lkcr is still Nov 7 17:26:57.  So It doesn't seem fine either.

I assume that one is supposed to still be working, right?

  Brian
  bcw...@google.com
Treat someone as they are and they will remain that way.
Treat someone as they can be and they will become that way.

Dirk Pranke

Nov 16, 2017, 4:04:14 PM11/16/17
to bcw...@google.com, Fernando Serboncini, Chromium-dev
Supposed to be, yes :).

-- Dirk

Brian White

Apr 13, 2018, 12:35:39 PM4/13/18
to Dirk Pranke, fs...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
I'm seeing origin/lkcr as:

02472a209454a042e6a248de62f324e0b8c353ad
Author: Tarun Bansal <tba...@chromium.org>
Date:   Tue Mar 13 07:04:07 2018 +0000

origin/master shows Apr 13.

Anybody else?

-- Brian

Brian White

Apr 20, 2018, 2:23:29 PM4/20/18
to Dirk Pranke, fs...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
I'm still seeing origin/lkcr last updated on March 13th.  Has it been abandoned?
-- Brian

Dirk Pranke

Apr 20, 2018, 2:52:11 PM4/20/18
to Brian White, Fernando Serboncini, chromium-dev
I'm not sure what the current state of LKCR is; let me poke around.

-- Dirk

Dirk Pranke

Apr 30, 2018, 3:45:29 PM4/30/18
to Brian White, Fernando Serboncini, chromium-dev
Sorry for the delay in replying. I had things backwards. LKGR is still around and being updated. LKCR is obsolete and not being updated.

-- Dirk

Brian White

May 1, 2018, 11:23:10 AM5/1/18
to Dirk Pranke, fs...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
Sorry for the delay in replying. I had things backwards. LKGR is still around and being updated. LKCR is obsolete and not being updated.

Okay, great.  I've confirmed that LKGR is up-to-date.

I thought LKGR was abandoned because of the difficulty of measuring a "good release" while it was pretty straightforward to recognize a "compiling release".

-- Brian

richard....@arm.com

Jun 21, 2018, 11:39:01 AM6/21/18
to Chromium-dev, dpr...@chromium.org, fs...@chromium.org
Is LKGR still being updated? I've just grabbed a checkout from it and I've noticed that it hasn't been updated since the 7th of June...

Best
Richard

John Budorick

Jun 21, 2018, 11:44:22 AM6/21/18