How to check tests in CL for flakiness

Alexander Yashkin

Jan 17, 2017, 9:37:16 AM1/17/17
to Chromium-dev
Hi all,
Recently I have tried to upload patch that caused flakiness of tests and was reverted by sheriff.
Locally I was not able to reproduce problem yet I think I fixed the source of flakiness.

Can I somehow run tests for my my CL several times on test machines to ensure they are not flaky,
or should I simply commit my CL again and wait for result?

WBR Alexander, Yashkin.

Dirk Pranke

Jan 17, 2017, 12:12:06 PM1/17/17
to Alexander Yashkin, Chromium-dev
If you have permission to trigger tryjobs on your own patches, then you can click on the builders you want to run as many times as you like.

If you don't, you can ask your reviewer to do so for you.

-- Dirk

Paweł Hajdan, Jr.

Jan 24, 2017, 7:10:18 AM1/24/17
to Dirk Pranke, Sergiy Byelozyorov, Shuotao Gao, Alexander Yashkin, Chromium-dev, infr...@chromium.org
+infra-dev,sergiyb,stgao

Curious, do you have more details about that like links to CLs?

Usually flakiness is caused by a race condition. Having good understanding of what the race was and what was done for proper synchronization would be good points for considering this addressed. Checking whether some change happened to fix this, gives less confidence IMO.

Of course having better infra support for testing flakiness could be useful. Adding some people who might be interested. Not sure yet how that fits into bigger picture of infra plans.

Paweł

Sergiy Byelozyorov

Jan 24, 2017, 11:04:16 AM1/24/17
to Paweł Hajdan, Jr., Dirk Pranke, Shuotao Gao, Alexander Yashkin, Chromium-dev, infr...@chromium.org
Hi,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Currently, we do not provide tools to make fixing flakes easier other than the approach suggested by Dirk. We are planning to work on such tools later in the year (probably not before Q3-Q4), but right now our resources are limited and we focus on tools finding which tests are contributing most false rejections and surfacing this information to the developers, e.g. http://chromium-try-flakes.appspot.com/ and http://test-results.appspot.com/flakiness).

We also welcome any contributions and if you are interested, please have a look at some of the ideas that we have or add your own:
Sergiy
--
Sergiy Byelozyorov | Software Engineer | ser...@google.com

Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Strasse 33
80636 München

AG Hamburg, HRB 86891 | Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg | Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Alexander Yashkin

Jan 24, 2017, 12:04:31 PM1/24/17
to Paweł Hajdan, Jr., Dirk Pranke, Sergiy Byelozyorov, Shuotao Gao, Chromium-dev, infr...@chromium.org
CL is https://codereview.chromium.org/2639153002/.
And with the kind help of vas...@chromium.org I think I understand the
source of test flakiness - its indeed race between loading of
TemplateUrlService and extension reload.

24.01.17 15:09, Paweł Hajdan, Jr. пишет:
> <mailto:chromi...@chromium.org>
> http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-dev
> <http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-dev>
>

> --
> --

С уважением,
Александр Яшкин,
разработчик Нашего Браузера
http://staff.yandex-team.ru/a-v-y/

Shuotao Gao

Mar 3, 2017, 5:15:54 PM3/3/17
to Alexander Yashkin, Paweł Hajdan, Jr., Dirk Pranke, Sergiy Byelozyorov, Chromium-dev, infr...@chromium.org
We had an idea for the verification of fixing flaky tests by a CL. Just captured it down in https://crbug.com/698385, and comments are welcome :)
The general idea is to let CL owners specify which tests they want to run many times (like 100 or even more) in CQ or dry-run, and check for 100% pass rates.

        <mailto:chromium-dev@chromium.org>