Announcing Sheriffbot

Martin Barbella

Jul 26, 2016, 7:18:51 PM7/26/16
to chromi...@chromium.org, tri...@chromium.org, Abhishek Arya
Sheriffbot is a tool used to automate various mechanical triage tasks with the goal of saving time for developers. If you use Chromium’s issue tracker regularly, chances are you’ve already seen it. We’ve already updated over 24000 bugs already.

As that would suggest, this is actually a rather late announcement. Initially, all approval for our rules went through Chrome PMO or Chrome Security, but some of the recent ones have been a bit more invasive and we’d like additional feedback from developers and other issue tracker users before launching them. If you have any general questions or concerns, please file a bug with the component Tools>Stability>Sheriffbot or reach out to tri...@chromium.org.

We have documentation which outlines the existing rules which affect all bugs. We’ve recently updated or disabled some of our rules based on bugs filed and discussions with other developers, so please double-check that any of your concerns haven’t already been addressed. We have plans to move into the Chromium repository (bug) and spread out some of the batches of bug updates that have been frustrating for triage teams (bug) to address some of our outstanding known issues.

Paweł Hajdan, Jr.

Aug 1, 2016, 11:47:08 AM8/1/16
to mbarbella, infr...@chromium.org, chromium-dev, tri...@chromium.org, Abhishek Arya
+infra-dev

Should sherriff-bot be in one of the infra repos instead?

It seems to me in general things in chromium/src should be ones that need to stay in sync with browser code. In case of the sheriff bot, it might make more sense to e.g. keep it in sync with monorail.

Paweł

Aaron Gable

Aug 1, 2016, 12:47:03 PM8/1/16
to Paweł Hajdan, Jr., mbarbella, infr...@chromium.org, chromium-dev, tri...@chromium.org, Abhishek Arya
Yes it would probably make more sense for Sheriffbot to live in infra.git, rather than in chromium/src.git. Unless, of course, it is written in C++ :)

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "infra-dev" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/infra-dev/CAATLsPbNYRjiuVGoFMTJZmo0oG7aTN8eV7z589Yp2eJQp2Mivg%40mail.gmail.com.

Martin Barbella

Aug 1, 2016, 12:47:57 PM8/1/16
to Paweł Hajdan, Jr., infr...@chromium.org, chromium-dev, tri...@chromium.org, Abhishek Arya
Yes, that was the plan. I didn't specifically mean chromium/src, but should have been more clear.

Sean McCullough

Aug 1, 2016, 2:14:05 PM8/1/16
to Aaron Gable, Paweł Hajdan, Jr., mbarbella, infr...@chromium.org, chromium-dev, tri...@chromium.org, Abhishek Arya
Does sheriff-bot have anything to do with sheriffing, or is it more for general issue triage automation?

Martin Barbella

Aug 1, 2016, 2:18:05 PM8/1/16
to Sean McCullough, Aaron Gable, Paweł Hajdan, Jr., infr...@chromium.org, chromium-dev, tri...@chromium.org, Abhishek Arya
It's for general triage automation. It was initially developed to automate the mechanical parts of security sheriffing, hence the name.

Dan Jacobson

Apr 13, 2017, 5:20:08 PM4/13/17
to Chromium-dev, tri...@chromium.org, inf...@chromium.org
 I say Sheriffbot is like a virus/worm that eats through one's bug
database, closing things after one year of no progress.

And how is the user to be convinced that filing a new(!) bug again won't
just end up with the same result? (Same for enthusiasm for filing other
bugs too.)

Message has been deleted

Peter Kasting

Apr 13, 2017, 5:29:58 PM4/13/17
to jid...@jidanni.org, Chromium-dev, tri...@chromium.org, Abhishek Arya
This is fair feedback.  Part of being good stewards of our database should be that we triage incoming bugs so they do get looked at, and they don't get closed when they're still actionable, even if they're low-priority.

In the past, the team as a whole has not done well at this.  Over the last few years, individual subteams have begun tackling this more directly with explicit triage processes that aim to retriage their backlogs and ensure new bugs get triaged correctly.  Not all subteams have such a process, though.

If you tend to see this with bugs in certain areas more than others, I think it's reasonable to give that team feedback that their triage process could improve.

PK