DEPS file for Chromium release build

Georgy Buranov

May 26, 2015, 10:42:26 AM5/26/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hi everybody.

I am working on stable chromium build 43 now

As far as I can see here, https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/ the latest stable 43 linux is 43.0.2357.81

But when I look into dependecies (DEPS file) I see, for example, that Webkit dependency is df1831922f8898d4617b7469f0a0da3f4f09f1ad (and this does not even exist in Webkit!!!))

Moreover, for some reason, local .DEPS.git file is commited (https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+log/43.0.2357.65..43.0.2357.81?pretty=fuller&n=10000)

Questions are:
1. How can it be that unexisting
df1831922f8898d4617b7469f0a0da3f4f09f1ad is commited to Webkit? Or I am wrong and it exists?
2. What is the reason to commit .DEPS.git to git?

Andrey

May 26, 2015, 10:50:35 AM5/26/15
to chromi...@chromium.org, gbur...@gmail.com
I thought .DEPS.git is for git-svn stuff. But WebKit is not in svn anymore. https://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/git-repo

-- Andrey Khalyavin

PhistucK

May 26, 2015, 10:52:43 AM5/26/15
to gbur...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev

PhistucK

Daniel Bratell

May 26, 2015, 12:22:30 PM5/26/15
to chromi...@chromium.org, Georgy Buranov
On Tue, 26 May 2015 16:42:26 +0200, Georgy Buranov <gbur...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi everybody.

I am working on stable chromium build 43 now

As far as I can see here, https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/ the latest stable 43 linux is 43.0.2357.81

But when I look into dependecies (DEPS file) I see, for example, that Webkit dependency is df1831922f8898d4617b7469f0a0da3f4f09f1ad (and this does not even exist in Webkit!!!))

You might have to use "gclient sync --with_branch_heads" to get all branches and revisions from the git server. Otherwise it will only send the master branch.

/Daniel

Primiano Tucci

May 26, 2015, 1:09:05 PM5/26/15
to gbur...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
But when I look into dependecies (DEPS file) I see, for example, that Webkit dependency is df1831922f8898d4617b7469f0a0da3f4f09f1ad (and this does not even exist in Webkit!!!))
It does, but is not under the refs/heads/ namespace so it is not pulled by default, unless you gclient sync --with_branch_heads like Daniel pointed out.
The rule of thumb is that major chrome branches (2357) point to branches in major subprojects like Blink or V8. In the specific example it is easy to see how df18319 is almost the head of the
/refs/branch-heads/chromium/2357 in blink
IIRC the official buildspecs (the internal DEPS) are not accessible by everybody. A bot converts the internal DEPS to public .DEPS.git and commits them on release tags, which is the thing that you are seeing there. (it is a bit more complicated than this, but this is a reasonable TL;DR)

Questions are:
1. How can it be that unexisting
df1831922f8898d4617b7469f0a0da3f4f09f1ad is commited to Webkit? Or I am wrong and it exists?
I think you got an (two) answers to this at this point :)

2. What is the reason to commit .DEPS.git to git?
Not sure I understand the meaning of this question: .DEPS.git from release tags is the only public form of source-of-truth and is what you need to reproduce a release build (clearly % the internal repos, if you don't have access to them).
There should be no practical difference between DEPS and .DEPS.git in a release tags for public tags (% the fact that .DEPS.git is a rewritten form of DEPS and their format do not  match).
.DEPS.git is the thinkg that gclient sync looks by default for git repos, refer to that one.

Georgy Buranov

May 27, 2015, 3:05:56 AM5/27/15
to chromi...@chromium.org, gbur...@gmail.com
Thank you! --with_branch_heads helps a lot!

Shezan Baig

Jun 26, 2015, 9:49:03 AM6/26/15
to prim...@chromium.org, gbur...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 1:08 PM Primiano Tucci <prim...@chromium.org> wrote:
2. What is the reason to commit .DEPS.git to git?
Not sure I understand the meaning of this question: .DEPS.git from release tags is the only public form of source-of-truth and is what you need to reproduce a release build (clearly % the internal repos, if you don't have access to them).
There should be no practical difference between DEPS and .DEPS.git in a release tags for public tags (% the fact that .DEPS.git is a rewritten form of DEPS and their format do not  match).
.DEPS.git is the thinkg that gclient sync looks by default for git repos, refer to that one.

Did something change in this regard?  It looks like starting at 43.0.2357.126, there is no more .DEPS.git generated.

Also, the current stable release still doesn't contain .DEPS.git (compare the 43.0.2357.130 tag [1] with the 43.0.2357.124 tag [2] from the previous stable release).

Is it safe to just use DEPS now instead of .DEPS.git ?  (and replace the 'deps_file' property in the .gclient file?)

[1] https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/+/43.0.2357.130
[2] https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/+/43.0.2357.124

Michael Moss

Jun 26, 2015, 10:45:37 AM6/26/15
to Shezan Baig, Primiano Tucci, gbur...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 6:48 AM, Shezan Baig <shezb...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Yes, the release DEPS files are 100% git now, just like the master DEPS, so .DEPS.git files are obsolete and no longer published.