Chrome dev tools showing spdy for h2 requests

Neil Craig

Sep 8, 2017, 8:03:28 AM9/8/17
to Chromium-dev
Hi all

I've been meaning to ask about this for ages...We've been doing a lot of work enabling h2 on many of our services and have noticed that Chrome dev tools sometimes displays "spdy" in the protocol column for connections which are h2. This happens across various Chrome versions (inc. latest) and Mac, Windows and Linux OS's.

I've got a couple of screenshots, attached.

Has anyone else seen this? Seems like a bug to me as it happens on services which are definitely not spdy-capable (e.g. modern nginx which had spdy support removed some time ago). A refresh usually "fixes" the issue BTW.

Cheers
Neil
chrome-spdy-linux.png
chrome-spdy-windows.png

Bence Béky

Sep 14, 2017, 1:10:36 PM9/14/17
to Neil Craig, Chromium-dev
Hi Neil,

This is surprising indeed. Chrome does not support any version of
SPDY either. For what it's worth, I cannot reproduce it on Linux with
either 61.0.3163.79 or 63.0.3213.3. If you file a bug at
https://crbug.com/new, please feel free to assign it to me.

Thank you,

Bence
> --

Simon Waters

Apr 18, 2018, 6:29:41 PM4/18/18
to Chromium-dev, neil.cr...@gmail.com
I had this too, then I remembered playing with some settings when SPDY was new and shiny, and not on by default.

Created a new user with a clean profile, no SPDY.

After much digging and cursing I backed-up my bookmarks and deleted my entire Chrome Application Support folder on OS X, restarted, no SPDY.

A reset of settings hadn't cleared it. I guess Bence will know where relevant settings are stored, but if you've been fiddling with such settings as long as I have probably wise to just blow the lot away and get back to the same problems as regular Chrome/Chromium users.