Play MP3/MP4 without proprietary codec and Pepper Flash

Gilford Tan

Oct 21, 2016, 3:14:40 AM10/21/16
to Chromium-dev
Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible for Chromium to play MP3 and MP4 natively without proprietary codec and Pepper Flash?
This is because I am building a commercial product (not for personal usage) and I would like to avoid any licensing problems and for some reason, I am not allowed to have extra audio/video sources like OGG in the HTML5 audio/video tag.

Thanks,
Gilford

PhistucK

Oct 21, 2016, 3:27:31 AM10/21/16
to gorv...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
I am not a lawyer, but I am not sure what "MP3 and MP4 natively without proprietary codec" means. Those codecs are proprietary, so you must have a license for them. It does not matter whether you use open source implementations of encoders or decoders for them, because the technology itself is patented and needs a license in order to be used (decoded or encoded).

So the answer is probably no.

Regarding Flash, if Adobe provides a download of Pepper Flash (so not one you get from a Google Chrome installation), you can make Chromium work with it, using some command line flag(s). Search the group (or the web) for ways to make it work - it has been discussed several times. I believe it would be a legal thing to do, but, again, I am not a lawyer.

PhistucK

Gilford Tan

Oct 21, 2016, 3:33:09 AM10/21/16
to Chromium-dev, gorv...@gmail.com
What I mean is if Chromium browser itself could play MP3/MP4 without proprietary codec?

My focus is more on the technology instead of the legal issue. I am not a lawyer too, that's why I wish to avoid legal conflicts by not using both proprietary codec and Pepper Flash.

Based on your answer, it seems I must have either one of them though.

PhistucK

PhistucK

Oct 21, 2016, 3:37:40 AM10/21/16
to gorv...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Chromium itself does not come with MP3, MP4 (well, the container may be supported, but the usual codec, H.264 is not supported) support, or Pepper Flash. No.
You have to recompile Chromium in order to get MP3 and MP4 (H.264) support.
And you must supply an external binary for Pepper Flash, if you want Flash.

PhistucK

Gilford Tan

Oct 21, 2016, 3:52:31 AM10/21/16
to Chromium-dev, gorv...@gmail.com
Well, can't say that I'm delighted to hear this answer but at least I could persuade my client to forget about this option. Thanks for your help :)

PhistucK