poor battery life with google chrome

kai zhu

Apr 20, 2018, 10:37:48 AM4/20/18
to Chromium-dev
on my macbook 12", i've (albeit subjectively) noticed somewhat recently, my battery drains faster while watching youtube videos on chrome.

here's some energy-impact numbers i recorded for chrome, firefox, and safari for the sites: example.com, youtube.com, facebook.com.  note i don't use firefox much, but switching to safari to watch youtube seems to improve my battery life

chrome - Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit)
firefox - 59.0.2 (64-bit)
safari - Version 11.0.2 (12604.4.7.1.4)

rough energy-impact numbers from activity-monitor on 2017 macbook 12" after waiting ~1 minute for webpage loading/init to settle down:

google chrome - 4.3
firefox               - 0.6
safari                - 0.0

google chrome - 79.5
firefox               - 57
safari                - 15.0
google chrome - 4.1
firefox               - 4.2
safari                - 1.3

-kai
1 - example.com - Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 10.07.51 AM.png

Dan Sanders

Apr 20, 2018, 5:23:52 PM4/20/18
to kaiz...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Assuming that you are watching HD content, this is consistent with the difference between software and hardware decoding.

I believe that the 2017 12" MacBook has a Kaby Lake CPU, and therefore supports hardware accelerated decode of VP9. This capability is not exposed by the OS APIs, however. It might be helpful to file a RADAR ticket requesting that hardware accelerated VP9 be exposed to apps.

A difference vs. Firefox is harder to explain, since Chrome and Firefox expose roughly similar media capabilities. We're not currently tracking Firefox power usage in our media power analysis pipeline, but we should be. I'll file a bug to start doing that, and to investigate further if a difference turns up in our lab.

- Dan

kai zhu

Apr 21, 2018, 12:02:01 AM4/21/18
to Dan Sanders, Chromium-dev
i see, thx for troubleshooting.  i’ve filed a bug on apple’s radar asking for hardware vp9 support for browsers.

Dale Curtis

May 3, 2018, 1:09:17 PM5/3/18
to kaiz...@gmail.com, Dan Sanders, Chromium-dev
Hi Kai, if possible can you also fill out a http://www.openradar.me/ with the details of the bug you filed on Apple's internal radar? That way it's possible for others to follow along since the internal radar is closed to the public. You have no obligation to do this, but thanks if you decide to!

- dale

kai zhu

May 3, 2018, 1:41:57 PM5/3/18
to Dale Curtis, Dan Sanders, Chromium-dev
k, refiled internal radar on openradar @ http://www.openradar.me/39617309

Dale Curtis

May 3, 2018, 1:43:07 PM5/3/18
to kai zhu, Dan Sanders, Chromium-dev