Editing "Get the code" page

Munjal Doshi

Apr 17, 2014, 3:33:40 PM4/17/14
to Chromium-dev
I have a suggestion for a minor change on "Get the code" page but I did not see anyway to change it myself on the page, nor did I see any names on that page.

These commands listed on the page screw up other git repositories which may be using different settings:

  git config --global user.name "My Name"
  git config --global user.email "my@email"
  git config --global core.autocrlf false
  git config --global core.filemode false
We should remove --global from those commands?

If there is a way I can change it myself, let me know.

Thanks
Munjal

Ilya Sherman

Apr 17, 2014, 3:42:35 PM4/17/14
to Munjal Doshi, Chromium-dev
Hmm, a single Chromium checkout contains multiple git repositories, all of which should use these settings, right?  I think "--global" is an appropriate default.  Developers who are already using git for other projects are presumably more well-versed in git, and can choose for themselves whether they want global or not.

That said, you can edit Chromium wiki pages by first clicking the "Sign In" link at the bottom of the page.  Once you're signed in, you should see edit controls.  I've found that sometimes I need two attempts before I'm able to successfully sign in.

Munjal Doshi

Apr 17, 2014, 4:15:43 PM4/17/14
to Ilya Sherman, Chromium-dev
I see. That is a good point. But I did get burnt by this just now. I am not well versed with git and still have to work on two git-based setups.

Michael Moss

Apr 17, 2014, 4:16:55 PM4/17/14
to Ilya Sherman, Munjal Doshi, Chromium-dev
You could suggest that users with --global conflicts do something like 'export GIT_CONFIG=~/gitconfig.chromium', and add those config options there instead. They'll just need to remember to always set GIT_CONFIG when working on chromium, which probably isn't ideal either.

Michael Moss

Apr 17, 2014, 4:21:08 PM4/17/14
to Ilya Sherman, Munjal Doshi, Chromium-dev
Actually, scratch that. That doesn't just replace the global vars, but would also interfere with local ones, which you wouldn't want.

Zachary Turner

Apr 17, 2014, 5:54:48 PM4/17/14
to Michael Moss, Ilya Sherman, Munjal Doshi, Chromium-dev
I feel like the documentation already suffers from attempting to satisfy too many different workflows, ultimately leading to it not being particularly clear for any workflows.  As a result, I don't think we should really support advanced workflows like this, or at the very least I don't think we should document them on our getting started pages.  A determined user can figure it out.

Daniel Bratell

Apr 18, 2014, 6:30:44 AM4/18/14
to Chromium-dev, Munjal Doshi
On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:33:40 +0200, Munjal Doshi <mun...@chromium.org> wrote:

I have a suggestion for a minor change on "Get the code" page but I did not see anyway to change it myself on the page, nor did I see any names on that page.

These commands listed on the page screw up other git repositories which may be using different settings:

  git config --global user.name "My Name"
  git config --global user.email "my@email"
  git config --global core.autocrlf false
  git config --global core.filemode false
We should remove --global from those commands?

These settings are probably best to have global. Most people only have one name and one official email address anyway.

For edge cases, there are ways to override them locally with environments (GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL, GIT_COMMITTER_NAME, GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL), or with local git configs, or (as I do in Windows) a different HOME.

Keeping the instructions simple is important and I believe most people will understand (thanks to the --global flag) that this will be a global setting and can look up overrides if it disturbs them.

/Daniel

Dirk Pranke

Apr 18, 2014, 10:49:07 AM4/18/14
to Daniel Bratell, Chromium-dev, Munjal Doshi
I agree with Daniell that we should probably leave the docs using the global flag, but I would be fine w/ adding a note that you might want to do something different if you regularly use other git repos for other purposes as well.

-- Dirk