Is Aura UI theme-able?

Antonio Gomes

Apr 18, 2014, 10:04:58 AM4/18/14
to chromium-dev
Hi. In a conversation with one of graphics-dev core developers, it was
advised me to take this specific query below to chromium-dev, so there
it goes..

" One advantage of Aura is that is makes it possible to share GUI code
between different platforms, e.g.: Linux and Windows share as much
code as possible in terms of GUI stack, up to the top level windows
(which are still native). I wonder if the look&feel of a Aura-based UI
is still customizable/theme-able on different platforms.

That said, the understanding of the statement made in [1] "the Linux
UI should now stay up to date with the Windows version" can be:
* Chrome UI on Linux and Windows will *look* exactly the same; more
specifically, the Linux UI would look less native, and get a
non-Gtk2-based look on say Gnome.
* Chrome UI on Linux and Windows will *feel* the same, but widgets are
still themed to look native, coupling together with other native
platform apps, on say Gnome."

Well, Gnome/GTK+ was used above as an example, but might not best fit
to what I actually wanted to emphasize in my question. I wonder how
customizable aura-based Chromium UI si so that it does not look like
an alien app.

Feedback appreciated.

Cheers,

--
--Antonio Gomes

Scott Violet

Apr 18, 2014, 10:18:50 AM4/18/14
to toni...@gmail.com, chromium-dev
The look is customizable by way of NativeTheme. We also have LinuxUI
for some additional theme related look customization. We don't have
many feel related changes. Biggest one I can think of is scrollbars on
chromeos don't have stepper buttons, but windows (and non-chromeos
linux) does. This is actually handled by NativeTheme too.

-Scott