trybots with DCHECKs disabled

tsch...@chromium.org

Apr 16, 2018, 6:16:41 AM4/16/18
to Chromium-dev
Hello!

last week I did the famous mistake of having side-effects in DCHECKs. Unfortunately, none of the trybots caught this issue, as they apparently all have DCHECKs enabled.
So the commit made it into the repository (after spending hours on trybots) where it caused build bots on the waterfall to fail, and required the sheriff to issue a revert (https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/1012818).

Not being able to reproduce the problem, it took me a while to actually spot the problem (study the code) and make sure they new patch won't run into the same problem required the insight of trybots having DCHECKs enabled.
So overall, it was quite a painful experience and causing work for sheriffs.

A single trybot running with DCHECKs disabled would have improved the experience a lot. Can we have one?

What do people think?

Cheers,

--Tim

Marc Treib

Apr 16, 2018, 6:21:45 AM4/16/18
to tsch...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
I've also run into this problem before, and multiple people spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out what the problem was. So, big +1 to having an additional trybot *without* DCHECKs in the CQ. Pretty please? :)

Tim Schumann

Apr 16, 2018, 6:58:00 AM4/16/18
to Marc Treib, chromi...@chromium.org
On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:20 PM Marc Treib <tr...@google.com> wrote:
I've also run into this problem before, and multiple people spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out what the problem was.
for more context, that was crbug/633613 and it took more than a week to figure it out.

Tim Schumann

Software Engineer

tsch...@google.com

Google Germany GmbH

Erika-Mann-Str. 33 Munich, 80636

Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge. Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the right addressee please do not forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including any attachments. Thanks.

Dirk Pranke

Apr 16, 2018, 11:01:14 AM4/16/18
to tsch...@chromium.org, Marc Treib, chromium-dev, John Budorick
That seems like a good idea. Can you file a bug, and we'll get it into the right queue?

-- Dirk

Tim Schumann

Apr 16, 2018, 1:07:15 PM4/16/18
to Dirk Pranke, Marc Treib, chromi...@chromium.org, jbud...@chromium.org