fetchStart timing is too late

Yosuke Torii

Apr 16, 2015, 6:07:57 AM4/16/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hello,

I use the Navigation Timing API and found that fetchStart timing is over 200ms after navigationStart.

I also read the topic below, but I'm still not clear it is the same case of mine.

What happens between navigationStart and fetchStart in navigationTiming?
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/chromium-dev/Q3fYD9VZIdo

The time lag still exists even if I don't open a new tag.
But sometimes the lag nearly equals to zero.

So, I have some questions.

- I guess it's the time for creating new processes. Is this right?
- When does this actually happen?
- Is there any method to avoid it by application implementation?

Thanks

Benoit

Apr 16, 2015, 8:44:58 AM4/16/15
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hi,

Can you provide a bit more context? More precisely, which platform (Windows/OS X/Linux/Android) are you seeing this delay on? Is it on your local machine, or an average over a set of users?
However, your case does look similar to the one described in the linked topic.

The time lag still exists even if I don't open a new tag.

Are you navigating to a different domain?

But sometimes the lag nearly equals to zero.

Is it for same-site navigations?

Cheers,

--
Benoit

Yosuke Torii

Apr 20, 2015, 1:29:40 AM4/20/15
to Benoit Lize, chromi...@chromium.org
Oh, I had not reached that document.
I'll try to check it before asking next time.

Now I understand I cannot avoid this by tuning my web app.

Thanks!

(+chromium-dev)

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Yosuke Torii <jinj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks.
I was careless to forget writing the PC spec.

OS: Windows 7 (64bit)
Browser: Chrome 42 (32bit)

Following are the actions for example. They are sequential.

1: open new tab

2: search 'yahoo' by address bar => 234ms

3: go to Yahoo!JAPAN => 229ms

4: click the Top logo => 67ms

5: press F5 => 0ms

6: open new tab

7: go to Yahoo!JAPAN by select bookmark => 240ms

Each action 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 does not cause opening a new tab.
I also tried these above using secret window but result is almost the same.

This is expected. You can see some documentation about the cases where a new renderer is created or not here: https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/process-models (process-per-site-instance).