Version 66 Broken Form Action

Jonathon Luce

Apr 18, 2018, 4:13:44 PM4/18/18
to Chromium-dev
On my company's webpages we have widespread javascript that checks whether a form's action property is blank or not, however the newest version of Chrome is now returning the form action as the base page that the form is located on, regardless of whether it is blank or not. Now all of our javascript is broken for users who are on the updated version of chrome.

Is this intentional or a bug? Any work around for this?

Peter Kasting

Apr 18, 2018, 4:21:03 PM4/18/18
to lonn...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 12:14 PM, Jonathon Luce <lonn...@gmail.com> wrote:
On my company's webpages we have widespread javascript that checks whether a form's action property is blank or not, however the newest version of Chrome is now returning the form action as the base page that the form is located on, regardless of whether it is blank or not. Now all of our javascript is broken for users who are on the updated version of chrome.

Is this intentional or a bug? Any work around for this?

This is probably most easily resolved in the bug tracker; I'd file something at http://crbug.com/new with more precise details (e.g. a link to a sample test page), and the appropriate triage team can resolve whether it's intentional and what the workarounds are, if any.

PK

Stephen Chenney

Apr 18, 2018, 4:24:46 PM4/18/18
to Peter Kasting, lonn...@gmail.com, chromium-dev
I can't find an existing issue related to this, so please do go ahead and file a bug. There are some bugs related to forms marked as Fixed, so maybe this is a side effect of one of those.

Stephen.

PK

TAMURA, Kent

Apr 18, 2018, 9:34:40 PM4/18/18
to lonn...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Hi,

I'm sorry for the breakage.
It's an intentional change to improve interoperability and conformance. Chrome 66, Safari 11.0 and Firefox 59 have the same behavior.
Please fix your code so that it checks form.getAttribute('action') instead of form.action.

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 5:12 AM Jonathon Luce <lonn...@gmail.com> wrote:
On my company's webpages we have widespread javascript that checks whether a form's action property is blank or not, however the newest version of Chrome is now returning the form action as the base page that the form is located on, regardless of whether it is blank or not. Now all of our javascript is broken for users who are on the updated version of chrome.

Is this intentional or a bug? Any work around for this?

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Moses Paguaga

May 8, 2018, 3:39:34 PM5/8/18
to Chromium-dev, lonn...@gmail.com
Hi,

My company is also having this same issue, where the form.unload action is not behaving normally. Users attempting to submit web forms are reporting that all information entered into text fields is removed upon submit, and the form loads a template version as a result. I'm not entirely sure that the form.getAttribute() action is suitable. Another developer and myself have attempted to substitute that code into our forms with no success. Below is an example of code we're using to unload our forms:

if (form.unload)
{
  if (tSubmitControl.value == 'NewForm') {
    tSubmitControl.value="Submit";

TAMURA, Kent

May 8, 2018, 7:42:06 PM5/8/18
to moses....@gmail.com, Chromium-dev, Jonathon Luce
Your issue looks unrelated to the topic of this thread.  Please file a bug on crbug.com if it's a regression of Chrome or your site works with other browsers.

Note that HTMLFormElement interface doesn't have 'unload' property. We can't know what is 'form' in your code.