Win8 metro mode still supported?

Dana Jansens

Aug 24, 2015, 7:42:44 PM8/24/15
to chromium-dev, John Bauman, Darin Fisher, Gabriel Charette, jsc...@chromium.org
Hello,

Given that Win10 is a free update from Win8 now, and does not have/need the metro mode in Chrome (my understanding). Is metro mode something we care about supporting on ToT anymore?

If the answer is yes: How much do we care about supporting it? Do we want to devote time to fixing metro-only bugs still?

If the answer is no: Do we intend to remove code to support it from the codebase then?

Thanks,
- Dana

Scott Graham

Aug 24, 2015, 7:45:41 PM8/24/15
to Dana Jansens, chromium-dev, John Bauman, Darin Fisher, Gabriel Charette, Justin Schuh
We still have a non-trivial number of users who have not moved off of Win8 and are using Metro. But we (I!) would like to remove it in the near future.

Once we see Win10 adoption move up, we plan to remove it, but it's not clear when that will be yet.

So, roughly "supported grudgingly, for now".

Scott Graham

Aug 24, 2015, 7:50:34 PM8/24/15
to Dana Jansens, chromium-dev, John Bauman, Darin Fisher, Gabriel Charette, Justin Schuh
Should have mentioned, the relevant UMA is Win8.PageLoad (and that code path is already inaccessible on Win10).

Justin Schuh

Aug 24, 2015, 8:37:30 PM8/24/15
to Dana Jansens, Scott Graham, ho...@chromium.org, chromium-dev, John Bauman, Darin Fisher, Gabriel Charette
We've explicitly chosen not to support metro mode in Windows 10. So, given the low (and downward trending) usage we anticipate removing the code soon, but are waiting for the dust to settle a bit with the Windows 10 launch.

Ben Wells

Aug 25, 2015, 12:37:31 AM8/25/15
to jsc...@chromium.org, Dana Jansens, Scott Graham, ho...@chromium.org, chromium-dev, John Bauman, Darin Fisher, Gabriel Charette
Yay! Removing ash on windows should let us greatly simplify some code... e.g. we won't need desktop type any more.

Dana Jansens

Aug 25, 2015, 3:00:46 PM8/25/15
to Scott Graham, chromium-dev, John Bauman, Darin Fisher, Gabriel Charette, Justin Schuh
On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 4:49 PM, Scott Graham <sco...@chromium.org> wrote:
Should have mentioned, the relevant UMA is Win8.PageLoad (and that code path is already inaccessible on Win10).

Are we tracking Win8+Metro usage, or just Win8 usage? Perhaps the former is even much more smaller?

Scott Graham

Aug 25, 2015, 3:50:36 PM8/25/15
to Dana Jansens, chromium-dev, John Bauman, Darin Fisher, Gabriel Charette, Justin Schuh
It's tracking the number of navigations that are done in Metro mode on Win8, Win81, or Win10 (where it'll always be 0).