Having a really weird problem after compiling. Details inside.

Andrew Sung

Nov 23, 2015, 6:12:29 PM11/23/15
to Chromium-dev
So I have compiled Chromium x64 on Windows 10 x64. I wanted chromium but with h.264 and other codecs, so i added this to my chromium.gyp_env

"'component=shared_library ffmpeg_branding=Chrome proprietary_codecs=1 fastbuild=1 is_component_build=true'"

It compiles successfully with ninja -C out\Release_x64 setup mini_installer.

After compiling I noticed that the fragmented chrome.exe inside release_x64 works perfectly with the codecs working, but as soon as I run mini_installer.exe and try to run it from the %local% folder (after it installs), chrome opens but I can't load any pages. Settings doesn't load, pages don't load, chrome:flags don't load etc.

I am stumped. If anyone can help, I'd be very thankful. As this is my first time trying to compile Chromium/use this forum please bear with me.

Thank you for your time!

Andrew Sung

Marc-Antoine Ruel

Nov 23, 2015, 10:08:57 PM11/23/15
to asun...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
I'm pretty sure, mini_installer doesn't work with component build. Do a static build.

Since you built successfully, https://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/debugging-on-windows is what you should for first.

You may want to rebuild without fastbuild=1 first.

But first start with a static build, e.g. change your GYP_DEFINES="ffmpeg_branding=Chrome proprietary_codecs=1".

I'm not sure why you would need ffmpeg_branding=Chrome either.

M-A

Andrew Sung

Nov 24, 2015, 8:29:53 AM11/24/15
to Chromium-dev, asun...@gmail.com
Thanks for the info, I'm not at home right now, but once i'm at my computer, i'll try that.

PhistucK

Nov 24, 2015, 8:39:02 AM11/24/15
to Marc-Antoine Ruel, asun...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev

PhistucK

---

Message has been deleted

PhistucK

Nov 24, 2015, 9:00:04 AM11/24/15
to asun...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev, Marc-Antoine Ruel
No, I replied to Marc-Antoine.

PhistucK

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 3:55 PM, Andrew Sung <asun...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm not sure if that was directed to me, but ffmpeg is working as well as h.264.

Andrew Sung

Nov 24, 2015, 9:00:06 AM11/24/15
to Chromium-dev, mar...@chromium.org, asun...@gmail.com
I've been looking around for instructions on static building on this site,

It says,

"What should I know about when working on Chrome's installer for Windows?

The Windows installer for Chrome gets tripped up by the component=shared_library build in many ways. Mostly everything is supported now, but use a component=static_library build if you prefer a non-ginormous mini_installer.exe that more precisely reproduces behaviour of real Chrome installs."

Not sure if this is what Marc-Antoine Ruel meant when he said to build it as static.

Sorry for any confusion if I make a mistake.

Thanks.

Marc-Antoine Ruel

Nov 24, 2015, 9:04:19 AM11/24/15
to Andrew Sung, Chromium-dev
AFAIK we don't test that mini_installer works with components=shared_library in the CQ. This means it will constantly regress.

If you can fix it, I'm sure someone will appreciate the CL.

M-A

Andrew Sung

Nov 24, 2015, 4:14:48 PM11/24/15
to Chromium-dev, asun...@gmail.com
Hello, I would like to say that after switching the line components=shared_library to static as well as remove fastbuild, it compiled successfully, BUT when using mini_installer.exe, it installs correctly.

The weird thing is that if i use the shortcut created on the desktop, chrome does not work, (grey screen), but opening from the %localappdata% works perfectly. I am happy as it is, but it is weird

Cheers!

Andrew Sung

Nov 24, 2015, 4:17:37 PM11/24/15
to Chromium-dev
Another development, Chrome doesn't work (grey or white screen) if i start from taskbar, but works if i open it from explorer (localappdata).

Weird.

Andrew Sung

Nov 24, 2015, 4:28:03 PM11/24/15
to Chromium-dev
YES I know why it isn't working, I had the chromium directory mklinked to a ramdisk, and it has to be started in that folder. I'm going to mess around with the mklink /X variables to see if can get one that works the best.

Oh and I was wondering is it okay to delete out/debug and out/debug_x64, out/release? I am not going to be using these.

Cheers!

Marc-Antoine Ruel

Nov 24, 2015, 4:36:11 PM11/24/15
to Andrew Sung, Chromium-dev
You can delete the whole source tree if you want.

M-A

Andrew Sung

Nov 24, 2015, 4:39:42 PM11/24/15
to Chromium-dev, asun...@gmail.com
So I can delete all of them except Release_x64 if i wanted?

And its still not working from taskbar even though i have mklink setup i tried mklink /J, mklink /d. It works from the folder (ramdisk) and retains the default profile.

Marc-Antoine Ruel

Andrew Sung

Nov 24, 2015, 6:02:38 PM11/24/15
to Chromium-dev, asun...@gmail.com
Everything is working :) I would like to thank everyone who helped, I appreciate your help for I couldn't have done it without you guys :), Kudos to Google.

Cheers!! Have a great night!