Chromium Code Search Update 2

Chris Smith

Jan 25, 2013, 4:00:42 PM1/25/13
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hello,

You might recall that Google Code Search was alive, and then dead, then alive again. Well, I'm happy to announce it's not only still alive but it just got better.

I'd like to announce a new version of Code Search on Google Code, available at: code.google.com/p/chromium/codesearch. (I'm working on updating the redirect at cs.chromium.org, for now that points to the older one.)

In addition to many graphical enhancements and fixing URL linking, the biggest change you will notice is that we have added semantic code information.

Consider the class BookmarkModelObserver:

If you wanted to know which classes were derived from BookmarkModelObserver, you could do some obscure search such as ": public BookmarkModelObserver", but that isn't awesome. Do you know what is awesome? Semantic code information.

If click BookmarkModelObserver and you will see that the class has:
  • 10 subclasses
  • 8 instantiations
  • 21 references
... along with links to all of them.

We will continue to improve this new version of Code Search to make Chrome development as productive as possible. Note that we do not have Code Search setup for chromium-os, and do not have plans to do so. That may change however; stay tuned.

Cheers,
-Chris

Alexei Svitkine

Jan 25, 2013, 7:25:33 PM1/25/13
to chrs...@google.com, Chromium-dev
This is pretty cool.

I noticed that it only applies to classes that are compiled by the Linux build. For example, Windows-specific classes aren't clickable.

Are there any plans to to solve that or is it a limitation of the current system that we'll have to live with?

-Alexei

Message has been deleted

Paweł Hajdan, Jr.

Jan 28, 2013, 4:47:28 AM1/28/13
to chrs...@google.com, chromi...@chromium.org
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Chris Smith <chrs...@google.com> wrote:
I'd like to announce a new version of Code Search on Google Code, available at: code.google.com/p/chromium/codesearch. (I'm working on updating the redirect at cs.chromium.org, for now that points to the older one.)

In addition to many graphical enhancements and fixing URL linking, the biggest change you will notice is that we have added semantic code information.

Consider the class BookmarkModelObserver:

This is great!

One note: the "view in" seems to be disabled in the new version, even for files e.g. in src/base.

Thanks for working on codesearch! It's very useful.

Vsevolod Vlasov

Jan 28, 2013, 10:43:14 AM1/28/13
to chrs...@google.com, Chromium-dev
I am sorry for being annoying, but new code search uses https://code.google.com/p/chromium/favicon.ico as a favicon and this resource is not available.