M63 change breaking non-CWS extensions

Gustavo Sacomoto

Dec 12, 2017, 9:00:09 AM12/12/17
to chromi...@chromium.org, Evan Wiederspan
Hi,

It seems something changed on M63 causing Chrome to consider some non-CWS as corrupted (chrome://extensions show the "This extension may have been corrupted." message).

There are more cases here:

I can confirm this problem was really introduced in M63, and adding the "update_url" to the extension manifest fixes the problem.

This doesn't seem to affect CWS extensions. My guess here is that CWS adds / overwrites the "update_url" field in the manifest when packaging the extension.

Can somebody confirm that Chrome is more stringent with the extension manifests on M63? Or is it a bug?

Cheers,
Gustavo

Michael Giuffrida

Dec 12, 2017, 1:10:31 PM12/12/17
to saco...@chromium.org, chromi...@chromium.org, Evan Wiederspan, prob...@chromium.org, Devlin Cronin
+proberge for content verification work that happened in M63

prob...@chromium.org

Dec 12, 2017, 1:39:48 PM12/12/17
to Chromium-dev, saco...@chromium.org, evanwie...@google.com, prob...@chromium.org, rdevlin...@chromium.org
Hi Gustavo,

Thanks for helping bring this to our attention.

prob...@chromium.org

Dec 12, 2017, 2:28:10 PM12/12/17
to Chromium-dev, saco...@chromium.org, evanwie...@google.com, prob...@chromium.org, rdevlin...@chromium.org
I'm looking for steps to reproduce the issue. If this is happening for your extension, please add repro steps to the bug.
Please, also provide the following information:
1. Is your extension uploaded to the Chrome web store? For example, does https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/extension-name/<extension-id> return a valid page?
2. The id of the extension, if possible.
3. The full manifest of the extension, with the sensitive values replaced with %VALUE%.