PSA: LoadingWithMojo is enabled on platforms other than Android

Yutaka Hirano

Sep 7, 2017, 3:41:38 AM9/7/17
to Chromium-dev, blink-dev, Taiju Tsuiki
Hi,

I'd like to announce that LoadingWithMojo is enabled on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and ChromeOS. I updated the server-side config, so already shipped Chrome binaries start using the feature as well. As I switched the feature default value, tests now run with LoadingWithMojo enabled on those platforms.

In short, it migrates resource loading IPCs from ChromeIPC to Mojo. We've had an experiment for some time and didn't see performance / stability issues, but if you find any issues please let me know.

On Android there are some stability issues which we are addressing. Hence it is disabled on Android for now, and the old code should be maintained until it's enabled. I will keep running tests with LoadingWithMojo disabled manually.

Thanks,

Ken Rockot

Sep 21, 2017, 12:21:44 PM9/21/17
to aps1...@gmail.com, blink-dev, Chromium-dev, Taiju Tsuiki, Yutaka Hirano, rickraub...@gmail.com
Yes this sounds like a legitimate bug. Could someone please file one at https://crbug.com/new with details on how to reproduce the issue?

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 9:06 AM, <aps1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Will confirm, have a user with the same issue. Doesn't appear to be malware... I've uninstalled/reinstalled, ran every possible tool I can think of. Even used REVO uninstaller and removed every registry key/file attached to chrome.

Happens under multiple Windows user profiles. Something wacky going on.

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 10:55:19 AM UTC-4, rickraub...@gmail.com wrote:

On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 9:40:17 AM UTC+2, Yutaka Hirano wrote:
I'd like to announce that LoadingWithMojo is enabled on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and ChromeOS. I updated the server-side config, so already shipped Chrome binaries start using the feature as well. As I switched the feature default value, tests now run with LoadingWithMojo enabled on those platforms.

Whatever that is, how do I get rid of it? Every time any program sends a web address to Chrome on my Windows 7, it opens a second tab containing this message:
 --disable-features%3Dloadingwithmojo’s server DNS address could not be found.

Yutaka Hirano

Sep 21, 2017, 10:38:34 PM9/21/17
to yaza...@gmail.com, blink-dev, aps1...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev, Taiju Tsuiki, rickraub...@gmail.com
Thank you for reporting, we are investigating the issue at https://crbug.com/767604.

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 8:43 AM, <yaza...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have same issue one one off my computers but other one running same lastest chrome 61.0.3163.91 is fine.

chrome://version/ Shows this on computer working fine.

Command Line:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
--flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end"

chrome://version/ Shows this on computer with Issue.....

Command Line
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
--disable-features=LoadingWithMojo --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end"

You see the " --disable-features=LoadingWithMojo" is same as web page opening http://--disable-features%3Dloadingwithmojo/
When a link is clicked from a program like PINs, Keepass , Outlook or any program you can open link from for some reason. Open Chrome directly if don't happen.

You can turn these off by going to chrome://flags/ you can find listed. (put mojo in Find on chrome)

To find this:

Use Mojo IPC for resource loading Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android
Use Mojo IPC instead of traditional Chrome IPC for resource loading. #enable-mojo-loading

Change to Default does nothing on computer with issue.
Change to Enable changes command line to:

Command Line
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
--disable-features=LoadingWithMojo --flag-switches-begin --enable-features=LoadingWithMojo --flag-switches-end"

There seems to be a issue with Command Line
messed up and "--disable-features=LoadingWithMojo" put outside "--flag-switches-begin"

Command Line should look like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
--flag-switches-begin --disable-features=LoadingWithMojo --flag-switches-end"

Nico Weber

Sep 24, 2017, 10:31:22 AM9/24/17
to nmay...@gmail.com, Yutaka Hirano, Chromium-dev, blink-dev, tz...@chromium.org
The theory on the bug is that this is caused by Trusteer From Rapport, with this workaround: "Opening Trusteer Rapport Console and on the Dashboard
"Rapport is running" (stop)  <-- click on Stop will have same effect as un-installing.

Problem mojo tabs go away, start Rapport again they come back."

On Sep 24, 2017 10:18 AM, <nmay...@gmail.com> wrote:
Experiencing the same issue - looking forward to a a solution.

Ken Rockot

Sep 26, 2017, 10:31:18 AM9/26/17
to bri...@bellsouth.net, cns...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev, Taiju Tsuiki, Yutaka Hirano, michael.a...@gmail.com, blink-dev, Will Harris
It seems like the bug is in Rapport, which appears to be haphazardly and incorrectly injecting a flag into Chrome. It's not clear to me how Google could fix this on behalf of Trusteer.

On Sep 26, 2017 6:45 AM, <bri...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
This isn't a "simple" solution as in my case I have to have Trusteer installed in order to use our corporate banking apps.  Google needs to fix the error and send out an update.

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 4:42:11 PM UTC-4, cns...@gmail.com wrote:

The solution is very simple!! Right click on Windows 10 at bottom left.  Select Apps and Features.  Scroll down to Trusteer Endpoint Protection, click on it and hit Uninstall.

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 9:37:50 AM UTC-5, michael.a...@gmail.com wrote:
ERROR APPEARING IN LAST COUPLE OF DAYS.  ARE YOU AWARE OF THIS AND CAN YOU RESOLVE IT?

--disable-features%3Dloadingwithmojo’s server DNS address could not be found.

w...@chromium.org

Sep 26, 2017, 6:26:32 PM9/26/17
to blink-dev, chromi...@chromium.org, tz...@chromium.org, yhi...@chromium.org, michael.a...@gmail.com, cns...@gmail.com, bri...@bellsouth.net, tri2...@gmail.com, akue...@flametechnologies.com
Hi All,

Google is aware of this problem, it is caused by Trusteer attempting to manipulate messages passing between Chrome's processes. This is inherently unsafe behavior because the format and structure of the messages is liable to change between Chrome versions. We continue to strongly recommend that AV and other products do not try and inject into Chrome in this way as it can cause stability, security and performance issues.

We are already directly in touch with IBM/Trusteer and are jointly working on a solution. The bug is being tracked in https://crbug.com/767604 so you can go ahead and star that for updates.

In the meantime, until Trusteer resolve the issue, I recommend that you disable or uninstall Trusteer Endpoint Protection.

Will

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 2:25:16 PM UTC-7, akue...@flametechnologies.com wrote:
To my knowledge, our bank had recently changed something with our Trusteer-based software. Perhaps Google and Trusteer need to get together to discuss what's happening. It's possible that Trusteer is doing something abnormal (for Chrome at least) that would not have been noticed until Mojo was enabled for Windows.

We previously were using Chrome with IE Tab add-on for interfacing with our bank, due to MS IE 11 constantly crashing. Now Chrome won't work at all with the Trusteer stuff, since the bank software update. We are back to using IE 11 and lucky that it's working so far.

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 3:55:56 PM UTC-5, tri2...@gmail.com wrote:
Agree uninstalling Trusteer Endpoint Protection, that comes as protection for online banking provided by the banks, isn't the solution. This must be something Google Chrome has done in the last few days as it's only happened recently. Google need to resolve the problem they appear to have caused.

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 2:45:04 PM UTC+1, bri...@bellsouth.net wrote:
This isn't a "simple" solution as in my case I have to have Trusteer installed in order to use our corporate banking apps.  Google needs to fix the error and send out an update.

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 4:42:11 PM UTC-4, cns...@gmail.com wrote:

The solution is very simple!! Right click on Windows 10 at bottom left.  Select Apps and Features.  Scroll down to Trusteer Endpoint Protection, click on it and hit Uninstall.

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 9:37:50 AM UTC-5, michael.a...@gmail.com wrote:
ERROR APPEARING IN LAST COUPLE OF DAYS.  ARE YOU AWARE OF THIS AND CAN YOU RESOLVE IT?

--disable-features%3Dloadingwithmojo’s server DNS address could not be found.

Xiaoming Ding

Oct 16, 2017, 10:45:56 PM10/16/17
to Chromium-dev
Is it enabled by default on Chromium for Android now ? I try my chromium for android ( 63.0.3209.0 ) and find out this feature is enabled at the last section "other settings" of chrome://version .

So far so good when I played with Chromium for Android.

Cheer ~~~

在 2017年9月7日星期四 UTC+8下午3:41:38,Yutaka Hirano写道:

Yutaka Hirano

Oct 16, 2017, 11:02:35 PM10/16/17
to zhao...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
It's disabled for most Android stable clients. We are running an experiment on Android (Canary / Dev / Beta / Stable), and clients involved in the experiment are running with the feature enabled.