VAAPI on Linux

pdknsk

Aug 29, 2016, 10:13:07 PM8/29/16
to Chromium-dev
This is meant to be a thread to discuss VAAPI on Linux, in particular how to make it as easy as possible for Google to enable it.

It's not meant to be a thread to complain about the fact.

There have been a few CLs so far who tried to enable VAAPI on Linux, but have all been shot down by Google. Usually the reason is a lack of Googlers to maintain the feature.

Some recent ones.

"We (the media team) don't have the resources to maintain this properly. Even the Mac VDA, which is much less complex than VA-API, requires about 1day/mo to keep it working."

I think there are two main stumbling blocks.

On ChromeOS, the driver path is hardcoded. It's pointless to try this for Linux distributions.

Many hardware configurations. I suggest to strictly whitelist it to newer Intel GPUs, perhaps even only those available in shipped ChromeOS devices. Easily done through PCI IDs.

Unlike suggested in some CLs, I don't think this should be hidden behind a (secret) switch. Either it works, or doesn't.

PS. There is a bug too, but closed for comments.

pdknsk

Sep 2, 2016, 12:27:46 PM9/2/16
to Chromium-dev