PSA: Cross-references for Android C++ code now available in Chromium Code Search

js...@chromium.org

Jun 19, 2018, 3:40:01 PM6/19/18
to infra-announce, Chromium-dev
Hi all,

If you don't use Chromium Code Search, you can stop reading now.

Over the last quarter we've been working on supporting Xrefs for multiple platforms in Code Search. The first stage of this is now ready for general use: you can view C++ Xrefs for Android code by selecting Target OS > Android from the dropdown in the top right, or by adding the ?targetos=chromium-android query parameter to the URL.

If you have any issues, please feel free to file feedback either in Monorail (using the Infra>Codesearch component) or using the "Feedback" link in Code Search itself.

Thanks,
Joey

Peter Kasting

Jun 19, 2018, 3:43:54 PM6/19/18
to js...@chromium.org, infra-a...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 12:39 PM <js...@chromium.org> wrote:
If you don't use Chromium Code Search, you can stop reading now.

Over the last quarter we've been working on supporting Xrefs for multiple platforms in Code Search. The first stage of this is now ready for general use: you can view C++ Xrefs for Android code by selecting Target OS > Android from the dropdown in the top right, or by adding the ?targetos=chromium-android query parameter to the URL.

This is cool.  Really glad to see this work started :)

Two questions:
1) I don't seem to have a dropdown until I click the link you gave.  Is this still being rolled out?
2) Is the eventual plan to union the xrefs (or provide an option like "all" in this dropdown), or is per-platform xrefs the final goal?

PK

Joey Scarr

Jun 19, 2018, 4:48:49 PM6/19/18
to Peter Kasting, infra-a...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
Answers inline.

1) I don't seem to have a dropdown until I click the link you gave.  Is this still being rolled out?

Thanks for the report; it seems there may be a bug where it doesn't appear if you come in from a search or navigating through the file pane (but it does work if you load the URL directly). I've filed https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=854325 and will look into this ASAP.

In the meantime, the workaround is to refresh the page if the dropdown doesn't appear.

2) Is the eventual plan to union the xrefs (or provide an option like "all" in this dropdown), or is per-platform xrefs the final goal?

Yes, showing a unified version of the xrefs is the eventual plan. This is just step 1 :)

Thanks,
Joey

dan...@chromium.org

Jun 19, 2018, 4:53:17 PM6/19/18
to js...@chromium.org, infra-a...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
Thank you so much for working on this!! This has been such a blue sky wish for me for many years.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/e1636c0a-9ab1-4f8a-9f25-1527d87bed4f%40chromium.org.

Dominic Mazzoni

Jun 19, 2018, 4:57:56 PM6/19/18
to dan...@chromium.org, js...@chromium.org, infra-a...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
Yes, thank you so much, this is a great improvement!

Do you have a roadmap, what's next? Platforms like macOS, Windows? Other languages like JavaScript?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/infra-announce/CAHtyhaSn7W9oHYqM%2BnZK0K1W2BU--WOTQhUciPFi2iLTMYzJSg%40mail.gmail.com.

Erik Chen

Jun 19, 2018, 5:06:23 PM6/19/18
to dmaz...@google.com, danakj chromium, js...@chromium.org, infra-a...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
Whoo super awesome. :)

+1 for support for macOS/Windows.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 3:39 PM <js...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hi all,

If you don't use Chromium Code Search, you can stop reading now.

Over the last quarter we've been working on supporting Xrefs for multiple platforms in Code Search. The first stage of this is now ready for general use: you can view C++ Xrefs for Android code by selecting Target OS > Android from the dropdown in the top right, or by adding the ?targetos=chromium-android query parameter to the URL.

If you have any issues, please feel free to file feedback either in Monorail (using the Infra>Codesearch component) or using the "Feedback" link in Code Search itself.

Thanks,
Joey

Joey Scarr

Jun 19, 2018, 8:00:22 PM6/19/18
to Dominic Mazzoni, dan...@chromium.org, infra-a...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
Next on the roadmap is Windows and better support for ChromeOS, then Mac and iOS further down the line.

Languages other than C++ are out-of-scope for the time being, since there are some significant infrastructure changes required before these can be implemented. But we're definitely thinking about it :)

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 1:56 PM, Dominic Mazzoni <dmaz...@google.com> wrote:
[...]

Joey Scarr

Jun 21, 2018, 12:39:57 AM6/21/18
to Dominic Mazzoni, danakj chromium, infra-a...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
Update: the bug mentioned upthread has been fixed, so the dropdown should now be working for everyone.