Chromium Code Search Survey

em...@chromium.org

Aug 9, 2017, 4:31:21 AM8/9/17
to chromi...@chromium.org
Google Forms
I've invited you to fill out a form:
Chromium Code Search Survey
We are in a bind and may need to make cuts to code search. Please provide feedback to help us prioritize features.
FILL OUT FORM
Create your own Google Form

Dirk Pranke

Aug 9, 2017, 1:00:16 PM8/9/17
to chromium-dev, em...@chromium.org
Hi all,

I encourage you to to fill out this survey.

While we are well aware that people use search every day as an important part of their jobs, we don't actually have a lot of good information on *how* people use it and what features are most important (or even missing or desired), and we'd like to fix that.

In addition, Codesearch is currently partially implemented on top of internal Google search tooling, not as something the Ops team owns and maintains directly, and so we're looking at how that works and will work going forward.

However, to be clear: I view codesearch as one of our fundamental tools, and the ability to search our codebase in a web browser isn't going anywhere. I do not want to lose any functionality that we are actively using; indeed, we want to keep making the experience better.

Please feel free to ask Emma or myself or other people on Operations (or reply to this thread) if you have questions or concerns about this. Given what I wrote above about the tooling being partially internal, there's only so many questions I can answer publicly, but I will answer the ones I can, and if you're a Googler and want to ask questions about the internal stuff, we can certainly answer those (elsewhere) as well.

Thanks,

-- Dirk

Rong Jie

Aug 9, 2017, 10:13:26 PM8/9/17
to Chromium-dev, em...@chromium.org
Looks like external contributors are not allowed to fill in this form?

Yuri Wiitala

Aug 9, 2017, 10:58:38 PM8/9/17
to em...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
A suggestion for the survey: It asked what I use codesearch for, and then asked what features I find most useful. It felt like it was asking the same question twice. Perhaps, instead, it would help to list the features with a 1-5 rating we could provide, to rank each? Also, it's very possible that there are features some people not aware of and/or are forgetting to mention.

Emma Soederberg

Aug 10, 2017, 5:21:06 AM8/10/17
to Yuri Wiitala, Chromium-dev
If you don't have a chromium.org account, please use this survey: https://goo.gl/forms/yijPiQGX2KjJf4lS2. Also, feel free to reach out to me directly if you have questions or would like to discuss in more detail.

Thanks for the comments on the survey. I agree that the two questions are similar. In their defense, the first is more focused on the goals and the second on the means. Still, there may be a need to run a more targeted second survey with focus on specific features.

Julie Parent

Aug 10, 2017, 12:45:37 PM8/10/17
to em...@chromium.org, Yuri Wiitala, Chromium-dev
tl;dr: What Dirk said: "I view codesearch as one of our fundamental tools, and the ability to search our codebase in a web browser isn't going anywhere."

So, to be ABSOLUTELY clear.  Codesearch will NOT go away.  We know this is extremely important tooling used daily by Chromium developers.  The survey was trying to better understand which features are most important, so we can prioritize efforts.  Please take the survey to help us understand your usage, but not to "save" it.

If you have more questions, or want to get involved with Codesearch, please reach out to me.

Emma Soederberg

Aug 14, 2017, 3:16:27 AM8/14/17
to Julie Parent, Yuri Wiitala, Chromium-dev
Signal boost: If you haven't responded to the survey and would like to please do so today.

I'll summarize the response on this thread tomorrow.

Thanks,
Emma

Emma Soederberg

Aug 16, 2017, 5:29:27 AM8/16/17
to Julie Parent, Yuri Wiitala, Chromium-dev
Thanks for all the responses!

I have summarized the result here. Please comment on the doc or reach out to me if you have questions.

Thanks again,
Emma