how soon chromium get native wayland support?

0net user

Dec 26, 2016, 3:07:29 AM12/26/16
to Chromium-dev
iam use rpiphany-browser native weston without xwayland (delete from system) and this very good look, feel fast speed, good stable but engines epiphany no new becouse http://html5test.com/ show only 333 of 555 points. but want new functions.

how soon chromium get native support wayland and chromium or chrome get first it?
thanks.

Andrea Giammarchi

Dec 26, 2016, 11:46:16 AM12/26/16
to gma1l...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Just my 2 cents here, and I'm not a Chromium developer,
  WebKit2 is not that bad and it scores 386 for me (GNOME on Arch Linux) while on the same exact machine Chromium scores 505.

There are few APIs you could safely ignore on a Raspberry Pi, due limitations of the board itself (as example, no gyroscope). Few other APIs can be polyfilled (Custom Elements) and others like Service Workers are less relevant unless you are using a SIM card external module there.

That being said, the Ozone project doesn't look completely abandoned but it probably has close to zero priority: https://github.com/01org/ozone-wayland

More active is the Crosswalk one https://github.com/crosswalk-project/crosswalk meaning somehow there is already a way to use Chromium on Wayland, it's just not so widely deployed so, unfortunately, SBCs running Linux on pure Wayland that drops weston's xwayland.so module don't have many choices.

It's also a matter of GPU drivers support, most SBCs have drivers for Xorg only so that XWayland is eventually the only option there to have acceptable performance.

AFAIK there was also an announced effort to bring Chromium to the Raspberry-Pi Zero which probably will have to work on Wayland so ... fingers crossed!

Best Regards

Message has been deleted

wayland-0

Dec 27, 2016, 4:24:44 AM12/27/16
to Chromium-dev, gma1l...@gmail.com
very big thanks for ur 2 cents. me to fingers crossed!

Antonio Gomes

Dec 27, 2016, 6:26:19 AM12/27/16
to gma1l...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
I believe you will find
https://blogs.igalia.com/tonikitoo/2016/11/14/chromium-ozone-wayland-and-beyond/
interesting about Chromium/Wayland.
--
--Antonio Gomes

xuan li

Apr 23, 2017, 5:34:36 AM4/23/17
to Chromium-dev
Yes, please add native wayland support! I just tested midori and epiphany(web) and they score about 380, while chromium scores 520.
Without native wayland chromium is less responsive and you get rendering errors(artefacts).

Best Regards