Chromium Code Search Update

Jason Kersey

Jan 5, 2012, 1:48:53 PM1/5/12
to chromi...@chromium.org
As announced previously (https://groups.google.com/group/google-code-search/browse_thread/thread/fa2e2908c47df068#) Google Labs will be retiring their version of Code Search (http://www.google.com/codesearch) on January 15th.  The good news is that the new home of Code Search for Chromium is now ready to use, at http://code.google.com/p/chromium/source/search.

Going forward the team will be working to further integrate this into the Chromium project site, for now please use the direct URL.  This version of Code Search is much the same as the old version, in that it will take regular drops of our code and index it, making it available for searching.  Because we do not host our SVN repository on code.google.com itself, results will not be in real time.

For those interested in Chromium OS search, we expect that to be ready next week.

Please let me know if you have any issues or comments, and happy searching!

Jason

Nico Weber

Jan 5, 2012, 2:00:15 PM1/5/12
to ke...@chromium.org, chromi...@chromium.org
Cool!

Can you update cs.chromium.org and codesearch.chromium.org to redirect
to this new location?

Nico

Paweł Hajdan, Jr.

Jan 5, 2012, 3:04:28 PM1/5/12
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 19:48, Jason Kersey <ke...@chromium.org> wrote:
The good news is that the new home of Code Search for Chromium is now ready to use, at http://code.google.com/p/chromium/source/search.

Awesome! Kudos to everyone who contributed to making it available. I frequently rely on the search to be more productive.

Jason Kersey

Jan 6, 2012, 1:03:32 PM1/6/12
to Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
Both cs and codesearch should now work with the new url, and also start a search of you append text to the end of them (e.g. http://cs.chromium.org/foopy).  Thanks to cmp@ for his help getting this part pushed out.

jason

John Abd-El-Malek

Jan 23, 2012, 8:24:45 PM1/23/12
to ke...@chromium.org, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
The fact that this is rendered in a frame is a little annoying, i.e. clicking on links opens them in the frame, it's hard to copy urls etc. Is this permanent or temporary?

John Abd-El-Malek

Jan 23, 2012, 8:25:02 PM1/23/12
to ke...@chromium.org, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
(also double scrollbars)

Adam Barth

Jan 23, 2012, 9:17:32 PM1/23/12
to jabde...@google.com, ke...@chromium.org, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
Sounds like we need to implement iframe@seamless. :)

Adam

Jason Kersey

Jan 24, 2012, 2:06:55 AM1/24/12
to Adam Barth, jabde...@google.com, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
I'll try to find out if there are any plans to change this.

jason

Dominic Battre

Jan 24, 2012, 4:04:02 AM1/24/12
to ke...@chromium.org, Adam Barth, jabde...@google.com, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
The other problem of the iframe is that it is not big enough for a 30" monitor. The lower third of a full screen window is unused.

Dominic

Nikita Kostylev

Jan 24, 2012, 4:26:49 AM1/24/12
to bat...@google.com, ke...@chromium.org, Adam Barth, jabde...@google.com, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Dominic Battre <bat...@chromium.org> wrote:
The other problem of the iframe is that it is not big enough for a 30" monitor. The lower third of a full screen window is unused.

At the same time this same iframe does not fit at the 13'' MBP screen.
So when you scroll source and reach start or end of the source file outer scrollbar is scrolled (whole page is scrolled).

Yury Semikhatsky

Jan 24, 2012, 5:04:25 AM1/24/12
to bat...@google.com, ke...@chromium.org, Adam Barth, jabde...@google.com, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
Also I used to have codesearch as a "custom search engine" in Chrome which is impossible with
the iframe version.

Yury

Jói Sigurðsson

Jan 24, 2012, 5:11:13 AM1/24/12
to yu...@chromium.org, bat...@google.com, ke...@chromium.org, Adam Barth, jabde...@google.com, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
Yury, you can use the following for a custom search engine:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/source/search?q=%s

Cheers,
Jói

Yury Semikhatsky

Jan 24, 2012, 5:29:16 AM1/24/12
to Jói Sigurðsson, bat...@google.com, ke...@chromium.org, Adam Barth, jabde...@google.com, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
Thanks Jói! I was typing in a wrong search field(the one in an iframe) when trying to
create custom search engine.

Yury

Evan Martin

Jan 24, 2012, 11:37:07 AM1/24/12
On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 5:24 PM, John Abd-El-Malek <j...@chromium.org> wrote:
> The fact that this is rendered in a frame is a little annoying, i.e.
> clicking on links opens them in the frame, it's hard to copy urls etc. Is
> this permanent or temporary?

Workaround: bookmark
http://code.google.com/codesearch#%26exact_package%3Dchromium .
Then at least the URL bar works and it uses the full screen, but you
have to go back to the front page to refine your query.

Vincent Scheib

Jan 24, 2012, 7:33:01 PM1/24/12
to ev...@chromium.org, jabde...@google.com, ke...@chromium.org, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
Is there a better place than here to provide feedback?

Also, the "Link" drop down button doesn't work now.

Jason Kersey

Jan 24, 2012, 7:50:21 PM1/24/12
to Vincent Scheib, ev...@chromium.org, jabde...@google.com, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
There's not really a better way for Chromium folks other than contacting me.  For Googlers, I can pass you on to the team running it.

jason

Jason Kersey

Jan 25, 2012, 2:27:14 PM1/25/12
to Adam Barth, jabde...@google.com, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
Here's the latest, the iframe was just so we could get it migrated from codesearch proper in time for the cut off.  It's high on their list of things to replace with better UI.

jason

John Abd-El-Malek

Jan 25, 2012, 3:09:29 PM1/25/12
to Jason Kersey, Adam Barth, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
Thanks for the update, good to hear.

Dmitry Lomov

Jan 25, 2012, 9:23:59 PM1/25/12
to jabde...@google.com, Jason Kersey, Adam Barth, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
Here is a thing I do not understand: I go to, for example, http://code.google.com/codesearch#OAMlx_jo-ck/src/ash/app_list/app_list.cc, no cross reference links on symbol appear at all, I see some navigational links on #include but they do not work.
Is it just me, or is it something that does not work for everyone?

Code search became almost useless for me, and it is a HUGE drain on my productivity, esp now when I try to get into the new area of the code base. I can't underestimate the badness of this.

Dmitry

Vsevolod Vlasov

Jan 26, 2012, 4:57:08 AM1/26/12
to dsl...@google.com, jabde...@google.com, Jason Kersey, Adam Barth, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
I was not able to use any cross reference links (except for includes) since this migration.

Also, once code search is moved out from iframe, is it possible for it to have a favicon different from the code.google.com one?

Ami Fischman

Jan 26, 2012, 1:27:53 PM1/26/12
to vse...@chromium.org, dsl...@google.com, jabde...@google.com, Jason Kersey, Adam Barth, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
Cross-references are generated by a separate system that's not wired up to the codesite codesearch, yet (accessible only with @google.com account).
You can get them back, only on the google corp network, by using http://cs/ (and restrict to package:chrome, probably).

You could file a favicon request at https://code.google.com/a/google.com/p/codesite/issues/entry but I'm not sure what it would look like (none of {chromium,codesite,globe} seem like a good favicon for chromium-specific-codesearch to me).

-a

Vsevolod Vlasov

Jan 27, 2012, 3:46:33 AM1/27/12
to Ami Fischman, dsl...@google.com, jabde...@google.com, Jason Kersey, Adam Barth, Nico Weber, chromi...@chromium.org
Cross references are available on the google corp network, but the code is stale there.

You could file a favicon request at https://code.google.com/a/googhttp://cs/http://cs/le.com/p/codesite/issues/entry but I'm not sure what it would look like (none of {chromium,codesite,globe} seem like a good favicon for chromium-specific-codesearch to me).